PDA

View Full Version : Best irons for a Stevens 200 in .270?

Battle66Delta
02-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Just got my first Savage. A buddy I served with gave me a Model 200 in .270. It has the pre-drilled and tapped holes to mount glass but I really want to go iron for awhile first. I think Williams makes a peep sight that fits a round receiver at a reasonable price. Does anybody have any advice on the best iron sights for this rifle? What am I looking at for cost? Is there a way to install the front without soldering and paying a smith? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Stumpkiller
02-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Here's a prior thread on the same . . .

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?8282-Adding-Iron-Sights-to-Stevens-200

J.Baker
02-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Only way to get around using a gunsmith would be to glue the front sight on with epoxy or the like. Never done it myself so no clue what prep (if any) is involved or how durable it is compared to soldering. That said, a good smith shouldn't charge too much to mount them.

It's getting harder and harder to find open sights for rifles these days so your best bet is to just call the manufacturers (NEGC, Williams, etc) to see what they have that would fit your barrel diameter(s) where you want to mount them.