PDA

View Full Version : What Products Do You Use to Keep Your Firearm Looking and Working its Best?

Texas10
02-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Not everyone is willing to go to these extremes to find out which product is best to use on our beloved firearms. Lubrication, water displacement, smell/odor, compatibility to finishes, corrosion prevention are all put to the test on a variety of products aimed at the sporting goods markets. Which one do you swear by, and how does it stack up against some other, perhaps less well marketed brands? The results may surprise you. It did me.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

PhilC
02-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Great read!

Stumpkiller
02-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Very interesting.

I've been using B-C Barricade since it was Sheath - even for my flintlocks - for a rust deterrent (as a liquid - not the aerosol). Good to see it wasn't awful.

I may have to check out Frog Lube.

Evlshnngns
02-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Thanks for posting.

Robinhood
02-06-2018, 07:07 PM
I may have to check out Frog Lube.

It is my favorite product though the odor is strong for a couple of hours.

Texas10
02-07-2018, 10:50 AM
What? You don't like the fresh "minty" aroma of Frog Lube? It could almost double as a mouth wash :disgust:

LoneWolf
02-07-2018, 03:35 PM
I keep it simple with my bolt guns. Rem oil or any other similar wipes, Frop Lube (I like the paste), and mostly clean the barrel with a bore snake now and again. Sometimes I will patch it if needed, but haven't had a reason to in most cases.

DrThunder88
02-08-2018, 06:09 PM
I go Garand style: white lithium grease on sliding surfaces and Mobil 1 motorcycle oil on turning pins. I'll also typically clean the bore with Mobil 1. For deep cleaning the bore, I'll go with KG1 and KG12

mobenzowner
02-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Bores get boretech as needed. Lugs get a bit of Brian Enos slide glide, and all else gets a bit of weapon Shield or FP10.

Haiku_Rodney
02-13-2018, 02:35 PM
I just started using the frog lube paste about a month ago. The product was recommended by my gunshop. I have gotten to really like the product. I use it in combination with Hoppes #9 and they do a great job of cleaning the bore. Removes copper as well. I live in Hawaii where corrosion is a real problem. I have tried various waxes and oils/grease to help prevent corrosion. So far, frog lube is the best.