PDA

View Full Version : Need some info about this rifle

micsol84
02-06-2018, 03:37 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180206/2a73bc5549fa9ebca166c02621fe5c7d.jpg

This is a model 111 I bought in 2000. I was a kid at the time and didn’t understand things like twist rate. But now that I’m older and reloading for it this is something I’d like to know. Does anyone know what twist rate these came with or if there was more than one possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooterf79
02-06-2018, 06:42 AM
I do believe it's most likely 1:10. That's pretty much the standard twist for the 06. You should be good with nearly every bullet you'd want to try. 125 to over 200s. Probably some exceptions with the really long vld types with the heavier end of the spectrum.
Good luck!
Scooter

J.Baker
02-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Yep, Savage has always used 1-10" for the 30-06.

Texas10
02-06-2018, 07:37 AM
You can always call Savage Customer Service and give them the serial number. They would be the best source of information, IMOP.

Bunky-Shooter
02-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Easy enough to find yourself and you could check all your rifles.
1. Going to use your cleaning rod with the jag you use for cleaning with regular cleaning patches..
2. Insert the rod with cleaning patch and make sure it moves freely and you can watch the rod turn.
3. After confirming step (2) with a metal rod use a black magic marker, with a composite rod use liquid paper
4. where your rod enters the back of the action put a mark on the rod then go to the rear of your rod on the cam
that revolves and put a mark so you can see the rotation of the rod.
5. Continue by pushing the rod into your barrel and when the mark on the cam gets back to the top
make another mark on the rod next to the action where you made the first.
6. Remove rod and take the measurement between your lines, this will be your twist rate number.
Repeat this several times to check your measurements. you may find that it is a little differ number than what they
put on the barrels or what they tell you.. Hope this helps you out.