PDA

View Full Version : receivers- round and flat

zloe
02-05-2018, 03:10 AM
Have a question about the new round vs old flat receivers for the 110 series. What year did Savage start producing the round? What year did flat end production?
Do the old wood stocks fit a new round receiver? Is there any problems fitting stocks between the 2 if the spacing fits? does the spacing for 110 and the old savage receivers match up?

Basically I'm putting a hunting rifle together. Would like to use a wood stock and bed it. Just wondering what stock to get, and how close to pay attention to getting a "old" vs "new" stock for the receiver or if the old and new mix-n-match pretty easily.

Thanks.

J.Baker
02-05-2018, 05:52 AM
The round receivers went into production in 2002 with the introduction of the AccuTrigger.

The actual action size (dimensions) didn't change any other than not having the flat ground on the back, so yes - wood stocks from flat-tops will fit the early round tops. The caveat is that in 2005 Savage started switching to their new centerfeed magazine system which changed the action screw spacing, so centerfeed round top stocks won't work on flat or round top short-actions with the staggered feed magazines.

Action screw spacing is the key when it comes to the short actions. Staggered feed models (Gen 2, 1996-2007-ish) have a screw spacing of 4.27" center-to-center. Newer centerfeed models (Gen 3 (2005-present) have a screw spacing of 4.40" center-to-center. The early short actions (Gen 1, 1958-1988) were all flat back and staggered feed and have a screw spacing of 4.52" center-to-center.

For long actions it's a little easier as the screw spacing has always remained the same so you just have to pay attention to magazine type.

zloe
02-06-2018, 01:38 AM
So if I understand correctly, if I have a long action action, it should fit any wood stock or otherwise if said stock is a long action?

I'm actually looking for a long action wood stock. So that simplifies it a lot. What to look for in regards to magazine?

J.Baker
02-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Theoretically yes. There's still a difference between the staggered feed and centerfeed magazine types for the long-action stocks, but the screw spacing is the same and with a little work the stock for one can be made to work for the other.