PDA

View Full Version : bedded my recoil lug need some advice

rakatak
02-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Hey guys I bedded my recoil lug and didn't weld my gun together. I was nervous as a cat for 24 hours. In the process I ended up getting bedding about 1\4 inch on barrel nut and I can see barrel nut grooves in the bedding. Do I need to sand this 1\4 inch down smooth where there are no grooves or will this be alright. Was gonna post a picture but it says I'm not permitted.

SageRat Shooter
02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
I would... I'd sand out the spot from the barrel nut towards the muzzle of the barrel. you want it to free float all the way from barrel nut to muzzle.

rakatak
02-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Whats the best method to sand it and what grit sandpaper should I use? Thanks.

RustyShackle
02-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Use a piece of pvc pipe wrapped in sandpaper, start with 80 grit and work your way to whatever level of finish you desire. Or if you don’t have a chunk of pvc laying around most certainly you have a deep well socket. Find one that is about the same diameter as the bbl nut.

foxx
02-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Or hack away at it with a dremel and grinding stone bit. Doesn't matter as long as the grooves are nocked down. No one will ever see it once you reinstall the barreled action.

On the other hand, there's really no need to mess with it. If you ever change barrels or recoil lug, it will need to be nocked down cuz the nut will be in a different position and not match the grooves there currently. Allowing a little bit of bedding material on first couple inches or so forward of the recoil lug is not all that bad as long as the front of the lug, sides and bottom of the lug is floated.

rakatak
02-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys. Got a 15/16 deep well socket and some 80 grit sandpaper and knocked it down. Appreciate all the help!

Robinhood
02-05-2018, 08:56 PM
On the other hand, there's really no need to mess with it. If you ever change barrels or recoil lug, it will need to be nocked down cuz the nut will be in a different position and not match the grooves there currently. Allowing a little bit of bedding material on first couple inches or so forward of the recoil lug is not all that bad as long as the front of the lug, sides and bottom of the lug is floated.

I agree.