View Full Version : Savage 99: Model 99 in .284 Winchester

Pages : 1 [2]

Mad Dog
04-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Could have been a DE or a PE Jim.

Model24
04-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Thank you!

Sorry for the tardy reply. I've just figured out that there's a page 2 to this string (D'oh!).

The forend screw is an 8-40. I bought an 8-40 x 3/4 Low Head Torx drive from Brownells, and trimmed a bit of length, and ground a bit of head diameter. If you're interested in doing the same, I have spares. PM a mailing address. Another approach is to replace the screw with a sling mount, but I'm not wild about putting funny side loads on the forend screw. I'm tussling with whether or not I even want to add a sling to mine.

Model24
04-29-2018, 07:06 PM
The rifle currently has a one piece Leupold base with standard rings (med. height). The scope sits too far forward for me. I'm going to try Leupold Std. extended rings to move it farther back. I think Weaver bases and rings would allow me to move the scope even farther back, but when checking on Weaver bases I see a note that the screws must be shortened (by grinding) to work on the 99. Has anyone used the bases and shortened the screws? How do you "dress" the threads after grinding?
Thanks,
Barney

I had the same issue with eye relief, even using Weaver mounts, and I fixed it with a longer eye relief scope. If I was supposed to shorten the screws, nobody told me, and I continue to live in happy ignorance. This is, however, on an old beater EG with a Bubba D&T.

Any time I need to shorten a screw, I find a matching nut, thread that on first, then grind/file/Dremel away. Removing the nut clears the last thread. A little gentle filing cleans it up the rest of the way.

Barneyhunts
05-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Sorry for the tardy reply. I've just figured out that there's a page 2 to this string (D'oh!).

The forend screw is an 8-40. I bought an 8-40 x 3/4 Low Head Torx drive from Brownells, and trimmed a bit of length, and ground a bit of head diameter. If you're interested in doing the same, I have spares. PM a mailing address. Another approach is to replace the screw with a sling mount, but I'm not wild about putting funny side loads on the forend screw. I'm tussling with whether or not I even want to add a sling to mine.
THANKS! Model24 I bought a new screw from Numrich. I do appreciate your offer.

Barneyhunts
05-02-2018, 07:06 PM
I had the same issue with eye relief, even using Weaver mounts, and I fixed it with a longer eye relief scope. If I was supposed to shorten the screws, nobody told me, and I continue to live in happy ignorance. This is, however, on an old beater EG with a Bubba D&T.

Any time I need to shorten a screw, I find a matching nut, thread that on first, then grind/file/Dremel away. Removing the nut clears the last thread. A little gentle filing cleans it up the rest of the way.
Thanks again for your input Model24.