PDA

View Full Version : How to remove and replace firing pin spring

Ratbuster
02-03-2018, 10:18 PM
I've searched the web for instructions to disassemble/reassemble a savage 110 firing pin assy but have been unable to find anything. I'm sure the information is out there somewhere. I would very much appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Also if anyone knows where to source lighter than stock firing pin springs i would love that info as well.

Thanks!

Texas10
02-03-2018, 10:36 PM
This is how I disassemble model 10 pin but I don't know for sure if the 110 pin is the same. I start by measuring the pin, tip to back and note the dimension for use when assembling.

Presuming the bolt is apart, place the bolt head on the work bench with the bolt face down. Put the pin into the bolt head. Grip the spring tightly (you might want to wear gloves) and force it downward as you loosen the rear nut.

Be sure to put the parts back in the same order and orientation. Assembly is reverse of disassembly, and don't forget you will set the pin protrusion first. It's easy with the bolt head off the bolt body.

I hope this helps.

Blackthorn
02-04-2018, 11:58 AM
This is how I do it:
Put vice jaw protectors in your vice. Put the pin front end down between the jaw protectors. Use a piece of neoprene(plumbing department at the big box store) fold around the spring. Use a pair of pliers grab the neoprene on the spring and press down. This relieves the tension and you can spin the cocking piece off.

J.Baker
02-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think you need a new firing pin spring?

Zero333
02-05-2018, 08:44 PM
I've searched the web for instructions to disassemble/reassemble a savage 110 firing pin assy but have been unable to find anything. I'm sure the information is out there somewhere. I would very much appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Also if anyone knows where to source lighter than stock firing pin springs i would love that info as well.

Thanks!

Savage firing spring pins are already on the light side. Some of the Tactical models have stronger springs.

Maybe you only need to adjust the protrusion a little (when backing out the spring tension it will not make the pin protrude any more than 0.055" so you can release the tension some and see).

That said,... you can reduce the spring tension just a little, but you need to know what you're doing and how things work together. Like the cocking ramp and cocking button etc.

Newer model 11's have Savage Axis type of firing pins & springs, making adjustment impossible, but taking them apart is simple. At least my Brothers mod 11 left hand is like that.

gbflyer
02-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Probably get jumped on for this but I've clipped a coil or two to lighten them up. Helps the bolt lift and I've noticed no ill effects. I am not recommending this by the way, may every person be responsible for their own actions.

Digduggy
02-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Probably get jumped on for this but I've clipped a coil or two to lighten them up. Helps the bolt lift and I've noticed no ill effects. I am not recommending this by the way, may every person be responsible for their own actions.

This made the bolt feel so much nicer on mine! But, I had to get new springs as I was getting light strikes, especially with hornady factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharpshooter
02-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Savage firing spring pins are already on the light side. Some of the Tactical models have stronger springs.

I'm bettin' you've never actually checked any on a spring scale.....