PDA

View Full Version : Light weight stock options

cowboybart
02-03-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm looking for light weight stocks for a model 11 that was a 300 WSM and is now a 6.5 WSM

geargrinder
02-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Factory plastic non-accustock are about as light (and cheap) as you can get.

My lightweight 260 rig is in one of these. Free floated the barrel. Short-thin McGowan barrel. Ultralight Leupold scope. About 6.5 pounds and about .5MOA out 300 yards.

Stumpkiller
02-03-2018, 09:53 PM
^^^ I agree.

The longer I own mine the more it has grown on me. It fits, and is impervious to weather, quiet and non-shiney. I think it's going to work out.

I also have the .260 and had to do some barrel channel sculpting. I slice a bit with a utility knife, sanded it smooth, then wrapped the barret light in the stock at the tip with spacers twice as wide as I wanted it (pulled tight to the side that had too much clearance) and used a heat-shrink air gun (between a hair drier and a paint-stripper heat gun) to get the forend uncomfortably hot to touch. Then let it cool. Perfectly centered and free-floated now. :peace:

I also cleaned my junk in the cellar and found my old Harris 1A Ultralight bipod (from c.1976). Looks tactical! :thumb:

cowboybart
02-03-2018, 10:03 PM
That's what mine is in now and the forearm is rather flexible. With a bipod or using a sling I can get the stock to touch the barrel. I relieved the stock and now it looks like $h!@. McMillan adds stuff to make it work for Savages, thus negating any weight savings (just a $550 price tag). I haven't found another stock maker that does "ultra lights" for Savages. At this rate I might go walnut and hollow it out a bit in the buttstock and barrel channel.

Stumpkiller
02-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Mine doesn't touch even with the bipod (I get three business card clearance except at the tip - where I get two), but you have what you have. Boyd's makes some attractive laminated stocks.

J.Baker
02-04-2018, 04:35 AM
Laminate isn't light though, which is the point of this whole discussion.

Wish I would have thought to weigh the AccuFit stock I just had here before sending it back to Savage. They have the AccuStock aluminum chassis in them and rubber panels where the molded in checkering used to be, as well as the LOP spacer and separate comb piece so it would have been interesting to see how it compared weight-wise to a standard tupperware stock which in my experience averages right around two pounds.

geargrinder
02-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Mine doesn't touch either, but I started life with a factory varmint barrel. Lots of room now with the thin one.

Stumpkiller
02-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Bell & Carson would be the same problem as the McMillian (required add ons add weight).

Have you checked out Stockade. I think they claim around 30 oz. You can also get your stock in varous levels of completion (save some $ if you can do the bedding/painting).

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html

Choate and Hogue if you have a varmint/heavy barrel? But I think the Choate stocks are heavy - as heavy as wood or moreso.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Rifle-Stocks_c_2752.html

If you have deep pockets:

MPI Fiberglass:

http://mpistocks.com/

jpdown
02-05-2018, 11:47 PM
My favorite light-weight (28 to 30 oz) stock for a Savage carry/hunting rifle is the Stockade Hunter model.