PDA

View Full Version : 6BR_Buy used OR assemble with new parts

DeadWoodDan
02-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Wanting to get a 6mm BR for PD, Varmint, and paper punching. Before the below thread started, "Savage Rifle worth more in pieces", I have been watching and most recently speaking with forum members with used 6BR rifles for sale. That thread got me thinking what would it cost to just buy parts from one of our GREAT vendors and build. So specifically I have a choice to make:
1) Buy a used LRPV with original shortened barrel ( set back after accuracy declined ) and extra low round count (300) 30" barrel $1050 OR
2) Buy a target action, barrel, & stock < $1400 if I did my math correctly and didn't miss anything.
3) Watch the boards and market for a "deal"

Just trying to get a feel for what others have done or what I may be missing as a fourth option. Not trying to be "cheap" but not wanting to spend anymore than I have too as I will need, scope, dies, etc. ..

Thanks for your time and suggestions,
DWD

Texas10
02-02-2018, 10:18 AM
I find it much more rewarding to shoot something I've built, especially if it shoots well, than buying someone else's surplus. And I prefer to NOT spend a ton of coin on the latest HOTNESS, but instead make something costing a bit less work as well. To me, the challenge and the learning is a big part of the game.

So I bought a new 12FV on sale with rebate ($243 OTD), sold the barrel ($100), bought a new discounted barrel ($90) on the boards, a weaver 30 min rail ($45), new barrel nut and recoil lug ($75) and put it in a $200 stock. That's about $550 ready to shoot not counting scope. Later I added a target accutrigger ($20 after selling my varmint accutrigger) and have a 6mmBR that shoots better than I can out to 1000 yds.

So if you can wait to pick up deals on the boards and stores like Cabelas, you can build a really sweet shooting gun for a fraction of the cost of a used hand-me-down. Most importantly, you can say you put it together yourself.

YMMV.

bsekf
02-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Be very wary of used barrels! Get an examination period!

Bill

DeadWoodDan
02-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Brings me to another question... Are aftermarket barrels equal to or better? I see alot of savage take offs. Always assumed the guy was just making a buck

J.Baker
02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Brings me to another question... Are aftermarket barrels equal to or better?

Depends on the brand of aftermarket barrel. Everyone and their brother seems to offer Savage pre-fit barrels these days and like most things some are better quality than others. Some of the lower priced options on the market are what we would consider OEM quality meaning they're about the same quality as a factory barrel. Others are a better quality, meaning more attention to detail and in some cases hand lapped, and that's why they fetch a higher price. The whole "who makes the best barrel?" question is a can of worms in and of itself, but I've found mostly it's a matter of personal opinion based on ones own experience with brands they've tried.