PDA

View Full Version : So why not an AXIS II

SNOW JW
01-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Have a 20 Practical tube that's been collecting dust would like to make a PDOG gun. So my ?? is why not a AXXIS II with an accutrigger? I want to keep the stock trigger but is the action on the axis not as good or??

Thanks

Evlshnngns
01-31-2018, 09:07 PM
The model 110 has more trigger and stock options. If you can find the stock you want for the axis, your set.

SNOW JW
01-31-2018, 09:55 PM
Was doing some searching and came across this statement how much of this is true?
"
To get the axis to shoot bug holes, you have to replace everything except the receiver. By the time you are done, you could have bought an LRP model for about the same money, and have a rifle that is 3 times better. I learned my lesson the hard way... I'm a lefty so I didn't have many options to choose from. If you really want something to build from, then look at the 12FV from Cabelas. It's a far better platform."

Evlshnngns
01-31-2018, 10:25 PM
I have a 12fv, I like it! You will have to put your hands on them to decide where your money goes.

SageRat Shooter
02-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Was doing some searching and came across this statement how much of this is true?
"
To get the axis to shoot bug holes, you have to replace everything except the receiver. By the time you are done, you could have bought an LRP model for about the same money, and have a rifle that is 3 times better. I learned my lesson the hard way... I'm a lefty so I didn't have many options to choose from. If you really want something to build from, then look at the 12FV from Cabelas. It's a far better platform."

This was my statement... I will stand by what I said... There are better platforms to start from. (12FV, 10/110,11/111) It just depends on what you "want out of it"... I built my Axis in 22-250, Replaced the barrel with a CBI, the Stock with a Boyd's Prairie hunter, pillar and glass bedded the action (The glass bedding is the PITA with the Axis). I'm a perfectionist... so I try to get my rifles to put the bullet in the same hole every time.... I haven't ever been able to achieve EVERY bullet in the same hole, but I keep tinkering until I've got it as good as it can possibly be.

Your aftermarket parts are going to be more limited than the other platforms. And if you're going to be using for a PD gun, you'll want the heavy varmint barrel. So, you'll have to find a stock that will accommodate the larger barrel because it won't fit in the Synthetic, or laminate that comes with it. Another thing I'll mention... The bolt throw on the Axis is very high... Making it more difficult to mount large magnification optics for shooting little PD's.... You'll either scuff up the scope housing, or you'll be limited in the size of optic you can put on.

I've got at least $1000.00 in upgrades/initial cost in my Axis, to get it to put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards.

I built my most recent rifle (260 Rem) off the 111 platform and have had much better results and better luck in finding parts. Just my experience. YMMV

CaptnC
02-02-2018, 12:05 AM
I agree with SageRat on some of his comments...in the end the only thing left is the action. But I think you'll find that to be true of about any platform.

I have a 110 build...That some of the original action is still there, bolt handle (have not replaced it yet but will), the stock trigger has been cleaned up and polished. Then there is the "bare action"...everything else has been replaced.

New parts: firing pin, firing pin guide, bolt head, ejector, extractor and spring, bolt body, ER Shaw barrel (264wm) , Choate stock...even the action screws are new.

My Axis build the entire trigger/bolt/action is still intact. The trigger did get a spring/screw kit and some polish work. I feel the trigger will not need replacement...it is perfect now.

New Axis parts: Boyds stock, Savage pull off model 111 barrel (6.5-284). Plan to replace the bolt body with a Sharp Shooter and plan to trim the front of the action off so I can use a standard recoil lug, but for the first range trip it the action will be used as is.

Bought the complete gun for both builds Model 110 $180.00 and the Axis $200.00 from pawn shops. Got my eye on a couple more, just need to get the price down!

DrThunder88
02-02-2018, 10:07 AM
My biggest concern would be the action length. There's a lot of steel there for a cartridge better suited to a mini action. This plays a role in weight, rigidity, and stroke length, but nothing would prevent the Axis from prairie dog service.

chewy1010
02-03-2018, 10:40 AM
If I may cherry pick one thing out of the string so far. It would seem to me the rigidity would be a good thing. No matter what caliber or action, long or short. The more rigid the better. True, it may add a little weight, but I’d take that over strength anyday.

DrThunder88
02-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Conventional wisdom is that shorter actions are more rigid than long, and the Axis is a very long action for a .223 Remington. I don't know if a long, closed-top receiver like an Axis is more or less rigid than, for example, an open-top mini action, but it would be less rigid than a similarly closed-top short or mini action. That said, we may be talking about shaving a few hundredths of an inch of group size by going with a more rigid receiver.

J.Baker
02-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Conventional wisdom is that shorter actions are more rigid than long, and the Axis is a very long action for a .223 Remington. I don't know if a long, closed-top receiver like an Axis is more or less rigid than, for example, an open-top mini action, but it would be less rigid than a similarly closed-top short or mini action. That said, we may be talking about shaving a few hundredths of an inch of group size by going with a more rigid receiver.

And this brings up two questions:

1. Exactly how rigid does an action need to be?
2. How rigid is "rigid enough" where any additional rigidity offers no benefit?

Funny how nobody is ever able to answer those two questions, but they always want to bring up the "more rigid" argument.

foxx
02-04-2018, 04:53 PM
^^^There's gotta be truth there.

Personally, I prefer 10/110's and there are many more options available for aftermarket parts. When 12's are avail for the same or less than the cost of an Axis, I think its a no brainer, go 10/110. I can't believe there is anyone who actually PREFERS the Axis over the 10/110. Other than price, it does not offer any advantages over the others.

No reason you can't make a heck of a shooter out of an Axis.

CaptnC
02-04-2018, 11:44 PM
I've seen two different brand high dollar actions that look just like the Axis...they both use Remington style bolts, but the design look to be the same. Bighorn and Pierce (I'm pretty sure that's how it's spelled).

I was at the range when I seen both action...the Pierce caught my eye because I had just bought the Axis...that that's what it was. But it wasn't the guy who had it was thinking to buy it from a guy for $5,000.00...he said the owner had 8k in it....

At any rate there is a reason they use that design...oh and Savage target actions look the same only most are single shot.

DrThunder88
02-05-2018, 03:40 AM
The similarity between the target and Axis actions is superficial. I wouldn't be surprised if the solid top receiver is cheaper to make, hence its inclusion on the Axis...and the Remington 783...and the Ruger American...and the TC Compass.

A quantitative analysis based on empirical data of any accurizing effort would be nice, but it remains something of a pipe dream. If anyone can show me that modification X leads to group size reduction Y, I'd be a happy clam, regardless of whether Y is a percentage of absolute measurement.