PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Trigger Question

Nub Hippie
01-28-2018, 03:53 PM
I have seen lots of trigger mods for the savage axis, most of which include shimming to reduce creep for that Timney or basix feel. Is there any reason why someone with a mill can't simply drill and tap to add their own sear adjustment screw to a factory savage trigger instead of shimming? I have done lots of searching with only one result and it it was more of a footnote of something you could do and gave no detail at all.

sharpshooter
01-28-2018, 07:54 PM
The trigger is harder than a drill bit......

Nub Hippie
01-28-2018, 10:06 PM
I see no reason why one cannot be drilled with the proper bit or even a carbide mil-end to remove the outside layer before drilling. It is my understanding that they are just case hardened so once you're through the first few thou it's just normal soft steel.

SageRat Shooter
01-29-2018, 01:30 PM
The trigger is harder than a drill bit......

If sharpshooter is telling you this..... I'd take it as biblical.... Dude knows his stuff.

DrThunder88
01-29-2018, 02:25 PM
There is probably not going to be a shortage of take-off Axis triggers any time soon, so even if it doesn't work you can go back to factory configuration easily.

That said, the reasons I like shimming are because I don't have the tools to D&T the trigger and a failure of the shim will still result in a safe trigger. If part of the sear hook snaps or the material gets worn away or deformed to the point that it changes the sear engagement, you could end up with a dangerous trigger.

sharpshooter
01-29-2018, 09:15 PM
They are not case hardened....they're hard all the way through. They are MIM'd (metal injection molded) then heat treated. Even if could bore a hole with a carbide end mill, you're not gonna tap it. If you want less engagement, stone it off.