PDA

View Full Version : BAFFLE

BTH
09-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Hi Guys,

just a quick question, I am new to Savages and was wondering what is the purpose of the Baffle that is by the bolt head ?

The reason I ask I noticed on by Savage Target action you can see a little of the baffle I want to open up the ejection port of the action to make room to eject a slightly longer cartridge and wasn't sure what problems these might cause.

Thanks,

BTH

BillPa
09-19-2010, 03:31 PM
The front baffle has three purposes, act at the bolt guide, the bolt stop, but more importantly, help seal the receiver ring in the event of an "Ut-Oh", blown primer and etc so any escaping gasses can vent out of the twin ports in the ring.

A Savage has three gas control features. The twin ports, a vent in the bolthead and the rear baffle. The first two vent off any gasses out the ports in the ring, the rear baffle seals up the bridge. All three hopefully in the event of a case failure keep stuff out of your snot box and eyeballs.

As long as the baffle is in and still surrounded by the receiver ring lengthening the port somewhat shouldn't be an issue.

Bill

BTH
09-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks Bill,

But what do you mean by "As long as the baffle is in and still surrounded by the receiver ring lengthening" ?

Thanks,

BTH

BillPa
09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks Bill,

But you do you mean by "As long as the baffle is in and still surrounded by the receiver ring lengthening" ?

Thanks,

BTH

Its a "plug" lacking a better term sealing the receiver so any gasses can be controlled and allowed escape through the twin vents in the ring instead of blowing back towards the shooter. Looking at it with the bolt closed and locked all you see is the rear of the baffle. The rest of it is in the ring, the forward portion almost at the edge of the locking lug recesses.

I guess the comment was kinda goofy. If you lengthened the port far enough that the baffle wasn't in and surrounded by the ring you'd be into the locking lug recesses anyway. ;D

Just a guess, but I'd say off hand you could open the port .100"-.150" and still be good to go. IIRC without drag'n my lazy butt out to the shop to actually measure one the baffles measure .375" or there 'bouts.

Bill

Skunce
09-19-2010, 06:36 PM
You could use the short magnum baffle and get a little more bolt travel to the rear, about 1/8". What cartridge are you working with? The port on my target action is 3.040", but I think I read on here that some were shorter.

John

BTH
09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks BillPA your answers are appreciated.

Skunce to answer your questions I was hoping to be able to open it up enough to eject live rounds (Ultramags etc) but it doesn't seem like
that will work.

Thanks,

BTH