PDA

View Full Version : F-T/R question

greyspider56
01-26-2018, 10:08 AM
Hi. I was looking at the Savage site and was interested in two rifles. The T/R and the palma in 308. Whats the difference and could I use the palma for T/R classes or is that a separate class in itself? I like the adjustability of the palma stock.

Thanks
Mike

LoneWolf
01-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Note: I am not an F-Class/FTR shooter, but....

The differences are the barrel and the stock. Yes you could use the Palma in T/R Class as it is based on rifle weight and caliber being .223/.308. The T/R has a better stock for riding a front rest where the Palma has a better stock for positional shooting. if the intent is to Shoot FTR I would get the T/R model.

Blackthorn
01-26-2018, 02:44 PM
You can use either in F/TR.

I shoot F/TR and if I needed to choose one I would go with the Palma. The ability to adjust of the palma stock would be a plus in F/TR. For me the ability to move your eye to the correct position is important along with the ability to adjust the length of pull for prone shooting. I also don't particularly care for the plastic block to adjust for scope height on the TR (If I'm dropping over $1k on a rifle the last thing I want is a molded plastic block).
Since you will be using a bipod you will have to find Anschutz hardware to mount to.
The barrels will both be 1-12 which work great for 155's but if you want to shoot heavier bullets or the new Berger 200x you'll need to speed up the twist.

F/TR is 18.15# weight class so you will have to be mindful of scope, bipod, and scope mount weights.

Mozella
01-27-2018, 06:46 AM
...... snip..............
Since you will be using a bipod you will have to find Anschutz hardware to mount to. .......... snip.............

That is only ONE way to mount a bi-pod. Plenty of shooters use an ordinary sling swivel to mount their F/TR bi-pods.

Blackthorn
01-27-2018, 09:36 AM
That is only ONE way to mount a bi-pod. Plenty of shooters use an ordinary sling swivel to mount their F/TR bi-pods.

That is very true but the particular models the OP is contemplating both come with the Anschutz mounting system. Personally I use a picatinney rail for my Pheonix.