PDA

View Full Version : Savage 6.8 SPC Build

Pages : [1] 2

lsuTigers
01-25-2018, 04:03 PM
If one wanted to build/rechamber/etc a Savage Rifle to 6.8 Remington SPC, what would you need beside the obvious barrel and short action rifle? What short action would be suited to build from? .223, .308, 7mm-08, etc? Does anyone know of companies that 6.8 SPC prefit barrels or could make me one?

Stumpkiller
01-25-2018, 04:30 PM
You'd need a new bolt face. Only four "production" cartridges use the 0.421"/0.422" rim diameter: .25 Remington, .30 Remington, .32 Remington and the 6.8 SPC.

LoneWolf
01-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Good luck finding a mag as well, likely have to run a single shot follower. I'd wait and see if Savage puts out a factory bolt rifle model in 224 Valkeryie then set it up as a switch barrel between the 2!

lsuTigers
01-25-2018, 06:50 PM
So any bolt would work as long you swapped bolt faces? How hard is it to swap them?

lsuTigers
01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I couldn’t modify any of the short action factory DBMs?

Stumpkiller
01-25-2018, 09:52 PM
So any bolt would work as long you swapped bolt faces? How hard is it to swap them?

Swap it with what? Savage doesn't make one with the proper dimensions. If you opened a .223 Rem/.204 Ruger (0.378") the ejector might work but the extractor would need to be reshaped. That's lathe and milling machine work.

lsuTigers
01-25-2018, 11:38 PM
I was under the impression that the bolt wasn’t all one piece and the bolt head or whatever can be removed. Never done anything of the sort so I don’t know exactly how it works.

LoneWolf
01-26-2018, 09:22 AM
The bolt head is separate, but you would still need to find a custom bolt head with the .421 bolt face and have the extractor and ejector properly placed to function correctly...

RP12
01-26-2018, 10:18 AM
PTG makes a bolt head. I need one for a 224 Valkyrie build.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Been there, done that. Opened up a .223 bolt head, just a little. Same extractor, no issues. I single load so no issues with ejection.
6.8 should single stack feed with a little mod on the mag? Like I said, I single feed so I don't bother with that issue.
LOTS of AR info on the 6.8 SPC but not much (at the time I was thinking of building) on a bolt gun platform so I built one. Ordered up a Pac Nor straight pipe in 6.8 SPC. Went with the 6.8 SPC rather than the 6.8 SPC II, that way I could jam my bullets. The AR bunch seem to prefer the SPC II so they can run hotter loads??
Ordered dies from RCBS and batch of brass. Can't remember who I got the brass from but it's still going strong with no issues. All my loads are mid range so my brass doesn't get hammered. 100 yard bug holes are the norm. No scope change and a little hold over will produce groups that can be covered with a quarter out to 440 yards on a regular basis. The 6.8 SPC? Smaller than the 7.62/ .308 and larger than the 5.56/.223. Less recoil and more pep. What's not to like.:cool:

sgedicks
01-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Been there, done that. Opened up a .223 bolt head, just a little. Same extractor, no issues. I single load so no issues with ejection.
6.8 should single stack feed with a little mod on the mag? Like I said, I single feed so I don't bother with that issue.
LOTS of AR info on the 6.8 SPC but not much (at the time I was thinking of building) on a bolt gun platform so I built one. Ordered up a Pac Nor straight pipe in 6.8 SPC. Went with the 6.8 SPC rather than the 6.8 SPC II, that way I could jam my bullets. The AR bunch seem to prefer the SPC II so they can run hotter loads??
Ordered dies from RCBS and batch of brass. Can't remember who I got the brass from but it's still going strong with no issues. All my loads are mid range so my brass doesn't get hammered. 100 yard bug holes are the norm. No scope change and a little hold over will produce groups that can be covered with a quarter out to 440 yards on a regular basis. The 6.8 SPC? Smaller than the 7.62/ .308 and larger than the 5.56/.223. Less recoil and more pep. What's not to like.:cool:

I built mine on an Axis action - had a .223 bolt face opened up. It works well with a .308 mag (needs minimal magazine adjustment of the feed lips to feed properly). As stated - bug holes to 200 yards for me with hand loads and factory ammo alike. I bought a limited run from a vendor that specialize in AR barrels.

lsuTigers
01-27-2018, 02:18 PM
What’d you do as far as the ejector/extractor?

squirrel_slayer
01-29-2018, 08:30 AM
lsu what are you trying to obtain? reason I ask is while the 6.8 spc is a decent cartridge within the confines of the AR platform. there are better options out there as well. the .270's don't have the greatest bullet selection and with cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel, the BR's, and many others I'm just curious as to why the spc?

not nocking it by any means just trying to see what your after as their may be easier or possibly even turn key solutions.

conversely have you heard of the .277 wolverine? it's a .270 or 6.8mm wildcat based off the .223 case. it would in my eyes be easier to setup a rifle off that cartridge dollar for dollar vs having to rework and tweak things for the SPC. that and you have abundant (practically free) brass available.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-29-2018, 09:42 AM
.270's don't have the greatest bullet selection??? You better check your facts. Funny how that same remark was made on the 6.8 Forum till a chart was posted showing 36 different bullets available from a 77 gr. Elite SP 1.003" BC .400 all the way up to a 135 gr.Sierra MK HPBT 1.265" BC.488.
The bullets are there, just like anything else, you have to find what works best for you and your rig.

squirrel_slayer
01-29-2018, 10:52 AM
not saying there aren't bullets available. Just saying the selection is limited. given the case capacity the cartridge excels with the sub 100gr class of bullets which for game usage isn't a lot to choose from. the .270 is flanked by both the 6.5 and 7mm which both offer a lot more selection.

it's kind of like the quarter bore. I think its probably one of the better game calibers for deer sized game and I would really like to jump into one for the wife.(did the 25wssm years back) but the 6mm and 6.5mm stole it thunder. if there were more bullet options I feel it would be a lot more popular. nosler got me excited when the were talking about doing a accubond LR but that faded into the darkness...

The new kid on the block for the .270 is the 145gr eld-x sporting a .536 g1 BC ;)

McGee68
01-29-2018, 11:21 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Savage-Bolt-Head-6-8-RH-SA-RP/T10792

bolt head for 6.8. I just ordered one for a 224 Valk. I'm putting together

lsuTigers
01-29-2018, 01:36 PM
This was pretty much hypothetical to see if it could be done. I already went with a 6.8 SPC AR15 Upper but I had reliability problems with it and sent it back as an exchange. If this new one has issues I’ll send it back for a refund and just been weighing out my options if that’s the case. I happened to see that Ruger offered the m77 Hawkeye lightweight in 6.8 SPC with a 16.5” barrel years ago and thought the idea of a 6.8 bolt gun was cool. I’m a Savage guy so if I’d like one based on a Savage if I went that route. Just trying to get an idea of everything I’d need to do it.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-29-2018, 08:04 PM
So far, Savage doesn't chamber one that I know of. More than likely you'll have to go single shot till you get it to feed from the mag. Other than that, a good shooter.

sgedicks
02-03-2018, 11:23 PM
I did not need to modify anything around the extractor or ejector. It feeds and extracts just fine with the same dimensions as the .223 bolt face. It is so close that it will not impact it substantially on a bolt action. The magazine was the only part that needed adjustment for me. I have the brownells feed lip tool that I bought and never really used for AR mags...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

boostless
02-04-2018, 10:44 AM
This was pretty much hypothetical to see if it could be done. I already went with a 6.8 SPC AR15 Upper but I had reliability problems with it and sent it back as an exchange. If this new one has issues I’ll send it back for a refund and just been weighing out my options if that’s the case. I happened to see that Ruger offered the m77 Hawkeye lightweight in 6.8 SPC with a 16.5” barrel years ago and thought the idea of a 6.8 bolt gun was cool. I’m a Savage guy so if I’d like one based on a Savage if I went that route. Just trying to get an idea of everything I’d need to do it.

What brand upper did you end up going with? I've got a PSA 6.8 upper that I've had no problems out of with 230 ish rounds through it. I'm actually debating to part with it and build a bolt gun in 6.8 since I somehow accumulated 1k of the XM68GD round