PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchase

footindave
01-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Morning guys, looking for some input on a purchase. I am looking to buy another Savage model 10 predator in a 6.5 creed. I already own this gun bone stock version in 22-250 and it is a tact driver, which is why I am leaning towards another, just for deer hunting and playing around out to 500. Here is my dilemma, its just no fun owning the identical gun so I was wondering if there is a better choice like the model 10 fcp?
All thing considered, I may just re-stock the predator or get it re coated for just a different look but the dutch guy in me says why would you mess with something that isnt broke. Any ideas?

penna shooter
01-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the barrel nut....Both choices are solid, it's what feels good to your hands....Good luck.

J.Baker
01-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Take a look at the new Model 110 Scout. Has the shorter barrel with medium barrel similar to the Predator, has the new AccuFit stock system, AICS magazine system with Magpul Mag, threaded muzzle with brake (swap out for suppressor if you like), and it also has open peep sights AND a rail so you can go either way with it. If you don't like the forward mounted rail you can remove it and the rear peep and replace it with a standard rail on the receiver.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/110Scout

Edit: Oops - looks like it's not offered in 6.5 CM now. WTH Savage! Maybe go .308 in it rather than 6.5 CM? For just out to 500 yards you really wouldn't see much difference.

Stumpkiller
01-26-2018, 10:57 PM
I seem to be an odd breed. When I went looking for a rifle in a region of NY that was slug or muzzleloader only until last year and had not had a centerfire rifle "big game" season in living memory I wanted something that would serve from zero (closest deer I have shot was six feet away) to 300 yards outside max. For the 47 whitetail and one fallow deer (interesting story) I have killed I average under 40 yards with firearms. 300 yards is an astronomical 12x further than my stickbow archery range and 3x further that I would dare with muzzleloader round ball or shotgun slug (though my Rem 11-87 w/Hastings rifled barrel throwing Hornady .450 cal SST 300 gr sabot bullets and 4X scope took me to 150 yards . . . but my first buck with that rig was 12 paces away).

I even went to a neighboring county that did allow rifle and took two deer from the same stump I was sitting on - from 11 paces one day and 12 paces the next. .30 cal bullet (7.62 x 54R Wolf soft point) never opened and BOTH ran a 100 yard circle and died near where I had shot(?). This after months of practicing at 150 yard targets.

Point being . . . where are you hunting and what are the ranges? Where I live I can do coyotes and woodchucks to 300yards or more (been using a single shot .223 Rem for that). But in whitetail season the big bucks take to thickets and dense brush lots.

I went with a .260 Rem because no one made a 6.5X55mm that I could afford, which I feel is about minimal for local deer, plus the .260 works in a handy short action around 7-1/2lbs. and 22" barrel (I have to walk in 1/4 mile to my spot - and most often take an offhand shot). I expect next fall to be ready for a 5 to 250 yard shot on a 200 lb (dressed) deer. That seemed perfect for me. The 6.5 Creedmoor makes sense if you have to fit or accommodate an AR-10 or similar magazine, but I reload all my centerfire rifle so the .260 Rem, again, was right where I needed to be.

I certainly admire the guys that can shoot a deer at 480 yards but do wonder . . . don't they know how to stalk? ;-) I hunt my own wooded property and 100 yards is as far as I can see where it is fairly mature hemlock stands. Most areas 60 yards is about tops, and the milliflori rose and dogwood bushlots where the deer are during the daylight hour maybe 40 yards. a whole deer is seldom seen. Just bits of deer. And I do take my shots offhand without a rest or laying in the cold, wet mud and snow. Usually I have less than three seconds to decide a buck is OK and shoot. Sometimes two seconds.

But that's just my experience and region. Yours may vary.