PDA

View Full Version : PTG bottom metal and aics mag

Mthomas90
01-25-2018, 12:03 AM
Just got a PTG bottom metal and aics mag for my 243 ackley. It took quite a bit of dremeling on both the stock and bottom metal to get it all to fit together, which I kind of expected.
When cycling the bolt with a loaded mag, the bolt will hang up unless I cycle it very fast. The back of the case is just high enough to not seat in the bolt face like it should. I have already tweaked the lips on the mag some, which made a pretty big improvement, but I was wondering if anybody had any other tricks for this particular cartridge in aics mags? I know the sharp shoulder makes it harder to feed.

It's a model 10 factory dBm. Now in an hs precision stock.

Thanks,
Michael

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zero333
01-26-2018, 09:21 AM
If you're talking about the cartridges being a little lower than optimal and the bolt head barely gets them.
You need to close the gap by either making the bottom metal recess in the stock deeper (it's what I did) or by surface grinding some of the top of the bottom metal so it sits higher.

And yeah... AICS magazines feed better when cycling the bolt fast. Slow bolt throws can be problematic with aics mags and even factory mags.

Mthomas90
01-27-2018, 10:59 PM
When mine jams the case is part way in the chamber. The case head is up above the bolt face causing it to jam.
I still have some more work to do to get the bottom metal to fit better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

grouse
01-28-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm not a fan of ptg due to the issues you described above and their service. Cdi or accurate are my preferred bottom metals.

johnnyav
02-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Avoid PTG like the plague. The only thing worse than their bottom metal is their "customer service". I made the mistake too....after messing with it for months and having PTG tell me it wasnt their problem I tossed it and went with CDI. Haven't had an issue since.