PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x47 Lapua Conversion

P.Connell
01-20-2018, 09:13 AM
I have been in the planning phase to build a left handed Model 11 that originally started life as a 223 Rem. I originally was going to take her to a 6.5 Grendel. But after much thought, I have made the final dissension to go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. I know I need a new bolt head. But what size I do not yet know. I will be getting it from PTG. Also are their any other issues that I can expect with this caliber conversion. I plan to order my barrel from Shillen around the first of the month.
When in doubt; ask questions.

gbflyer
01-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Not intimately familiar with the cartridge. You might research magazines.

Robinhood
01-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Rim diameter for your bolt head is .473 same as 308. You will need an acceptable way to set headspace as in Go and/or No Go depending on your experience and source for ammo.

Not knowing your experience level with regards to reloading..... A honed Forster or Hornady (or even a lee or RCBS thats been honed) die is not the worst way to go. Not over sizing your brass. Neck RO can induce run-out from said oversized necks with the expander ball forcing its way back through is a beautiful thing. A proven way of repeating accurate powder drops will go a long way also. Learn and understand annealing. This will be a good start to get the most out of your chosen cartridge.

If that is not on your radar consider the Creedmoor.

P.Connell
01-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Thank you Robin hood for the bolt head size intel. I will be ordering it on Monday probably, just didn't want to order the wrong part. Get's expensive that way. The stock a Palma/Culbertson style,in Rosewood/Black color pattern, I have ordered should be on the way from Richards Micro Fit also at the first of the month. That is if they are true to their documentation of expected production times (10/12 weeks). And even if they are behind it really wont matter. As I still need to order the barrel. For the dies I was figuring on using either RCBS or Reading. Brass would be initially sourced from Lapua as new unfired.
One item on my to-gather list is a case annealer this summer. As I have my build and a friends build/s one being a 6.5 Creedmoor, to load for. at least until he gets his shop set up. then I can reclaim my work bench again. I figured on using Foster Head space gauges in Go/No-Go and an after market DBM setup. Haven't chosen that manufacture as yet but need to as soon as the stock arrives. Suggestions are welcomed on specs,parts or general issues to expect.

gbflyer
01-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Make sure you check in with pics. Love to see the progress!

OLEJOE
01-20-2018, 10:37 PM
If you think you might use a standard Savage bolt head, I might be interested in a swap for the.223 bolt head. PM me if you are interested.
Never mind. I looked back and it’s a lefty.

P.Connell
01-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Yes I am cursed or blessed depending on view point with left handedness. At this point I still plan to retain the original parts so that in the future I can switch it back to the original configuration. Plus in the future as in next winters build I am looking at putting the Lapua into a chassis stock on a model 10 (.308 action) with the factory threaded barrel. Again retaining the original parts just in case of need. It amazes me the little amount of load data that I am finding for this cartridge. More digging and reading must be done, after all if it was easy everyone would do it. I will build up a file of Photo's as the project goes on.