PDA

View Full Version : Model 12FV PRS ?

Lou Tenant
01-19-2018, 01:36 PM
I'm thinking of trying a PRS Match . I bought a 6.5CM. What improvements have you made to yours to make it competitive ? Type of stock , ejector mod, etc....maybe I'm dreaming, and it's not realistic ....

LoneWolf
01-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Any rig is better than none to get your feet wet. 10round mags are pretty much a necessity. Muzzle brake makes it much easier to spot your own impacts. I would swap the stock for sure and get something inletted for AICS mags as a number 1 item. As far as building a savage to compete in PRS I wouldn't after all my experience in it. I would pick up a Savage LRP if I was going to shoot a Savage for it though.

A solid optic and good data are a must. Take what you have out to a match. Enjoy yourself! Don't expect to win, but check out what everyone is using from factory level rifles to customs. There's a lot of great options hitting the market this year!

Evlshnngns
01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
New Savage Tacticool model #57008 $599 with adjustable accustock, 10 rd clip, and a threaded barrel. I think this would save you some money in the long run, If you like it as is.

C.J.W.
01-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Like others said. 10 round aics mags are pretty much required. PRS is the only sport where a chassis might appeal more to me than an actual stock.

A FFP scope and a muzzle break would both help quite a bit to be competitive. An upgraded ejector kit might help too.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Lou Tenant
01-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Which stock and mag system would you recommend.

C.J.W.
01-20-2018, 12:42 PM
I personally like the mcree precision chassis systems. They come with aics magwells. Most of the chassis systems do come to think of it.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

SCdawg
01-28-2018, 02:14 PM
You should be fine with a decent optic. Someone a long time ago told me you can't buy wind skills or trigger technique, they were right. A good read here about George Farr and his loaner rifle (https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/11/12/photos-george-farrs-71-bullseye-m1903-springfield-rifle/)

Lou Tenant
01-28-2018, 08:50 PM
You should be fine with a decent optic. Someone a long time ago told me you can't buy wind skills or trigger technique, they were right. A good read here about George Farr and his loaner rifle (https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/11/12/photos-george-farrs-71-bullseye-m1903-springfield-rifle/)

Thanks for the article. I have decent optics . An atacr and a pst gen 11. I guess I'm looking more for stock and mag recommendations than anything else.

Thank you

SCdawg
01-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the article. I have decent optics . An atacr and a pst gen 11. I guess I'm looking more for stock and mag recommendations than anything else.

Thank you

for what it is worth I just built a .260 tactical with a MDT chassis and will be breaking in the barrel this week. It uses the AICS mags. Will let you know how it works out. I have a 5 year old very inexpensive Choate stock on a practice rifle and once you get the action screws adjusted it has shot great with everything from a .308 20 inch barrel to a 26 inch .204 Ruger varmint barrel in it. I dremel modded it for AICS bottom metal also. First thing I do with any stock is put a good recoil pad on it, it really helps with follow through

65Whelen
01-31-2018, 06:14 PM
I just put this MDT chassis on my Creed, I like it a lot. I also like Mr. & Mrs. Smith.