PDA

View Full Version : Stagger feed magazine spring and follower

Dan Walker
01-18-2018, 02:54 AM
Looking for a follower and magazine spring for a (blind magazine) stagger feed short action I am screwing a 308 barrel in to. It was previously a 223. I have the new bolt head, firing pin, and barrel baffle. I found a spring and follower on MidwayUSA website, but it doesn't say if it is for center feed or stagger feed. Are they the same, or is there a way to tell which it is?
Thanks,
Dan

sharpshooter
01-18-2018, 09:52 PM
Won't do you much good if you don't have a .223 mag box.

Dan Walker
01-18-2018, 11:47 PM
I have the mag box. Will just remove the spacer in the mag so the 308 shells will fit.

RustyShackle
01-19-2018, 01:21 AM
I did exactly what you are describing with a 223 mag box. Except in 7mm-08. You will have to ‘adjust’ the feed lips some and then, at least in my case I couldn’t achieve 100% reliable feeding. Especially with a full magazine. The cartridges want to ‘nose up’ more than they should because of the design. I ultimately went with a center feed magazine and follower. I didn’t even grind the rear portion of the receiver as many do. Just tweaked the rear tab on the center feed mag box slightly. I ended up hot gluing this into the stock after I had done some test fitting. To find the ideal location. It works great.

Good luck!

Dan Walker
01-19-2018, 03:54 PM
COOL! Thanks for the insight. I have a centerfeed mag box and spring and follower. I will give it a try.