PDA

View Full Version : ignorant question requiring short reply

rmkey
01-17-2018, 03:11 PM
I don’t have snap caps for my Savages. I store most of my guns vertically in a small room in my house. Should I store them bolt closed and dry fired or bolt opened or should I get snap caps? Thanks

SageRat Shooter
01-17-2018, 03:20 PM
I store mine in my closet. I also store them vertical. Bolt closed and fired. Been doing that way for as long as I can remember. I've never had any problems..

Stumpkiller
01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Making sure it is unloaded (as always) hold the trigger back as you cycle the bolt to closed. The sear will not catch the firing pin so it stays forward and the spring less tensioned.

Deadshot2
01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
I don't even own a snap cap for any of my center-fire rifles. Have dry fired some for hours while practicing and have yet to break or damage a firing pin.

Store your rifles anyway you choose as long as they are secure from kids and thieves. I keep all mine "bolt closed" and muzzle up as that's how they fit best in my safe. If you are concerned about dust or small objects falling into the bore if muzzle up, just use a foam ear-plug to close the muzzle after a lightly oiled patch is run back and forth in the bore. Make sure to run a patch through the bore before shooting to clean out excessive oil and make sure the ear plug didn't get pushed too far in and disappeared from sight.

Note, rimfire weapons don't do well when dry fired. Some you can get away with it but a lot will end up with damage on both pin and notch in breech.

rmkey
01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the answers. With all those snap caps for sale from vendors I wondered.

big honkin jeep
01-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Making sure it is unloaded (as always) hold the trigger back as you cycle the bolt to closed. The sear will not catch the firing pin so it stays forward and the spring less tensioned.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
Just make sure it's empty and hold the trigger while closing the bolt. It wont "cock"

rmkey
01-18-2018, 04:23 PM
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
Just make sure it's empty and hold the trigger while closing the bolt. It wont "cock"

Thanks guys, that is good to know. I have so many rifles and some , the Enfield cock on opening. I knew you have to press the latch and trigger to remove the bolt but I did not know pressing the trigger on closing kept the bolt from cocking. This is why I want a gun smith to change barrel. I think I could do it but bolt dissembling looks a little difficult. First one I called gave me a spill about turning back some thing to fit the barrel even after I said the barrel was a pre-fit Shilen and had already been mounted on a Savage. I’ll keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
01-18-2018, 10:59 PM
I've dry fired most my centerfire rifles thousands of times (some probably 100,000+ times)... no harm done. Rimfire is a different story.

Texas10
01-18-2018, 11:12 PM
The Savage bolt is cocked upon opening and therefore already cocked when you place it back into the action. By depressing the trigger you are letting it de-cock gradually as you lower the bolt handle. I keep my bolt in a separate bolt caddy. When placing it into the caddy and rotating the bolt closed as you would if it were in the action, it de-cocks and locks into the caddy, and similarly, cocks again upon removal.

VAFISH
01-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Just close the bolt and put it in the safe. The firing pin spring doesn't care if it is compressed or not.