PDA

View Full Version : Noobie here looking for a little help on my first savage.

btnh6668
09-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi, Im glad i have found this forum there are lots of great info on here. I just purchased my first Savage 16FXP3 second hand and it did not have a manual. This is my first bolt action riffle. I've pretty much figured out how to pull the bolt out but do i need to take the bolt apart any more to clean it? Im basically asking what is the proper way to clean this firearm and do i need to do any further field stripping? Thanks in advance

JW
09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
congratulations on your Savage
you can go to the Savage website and down load a manual for the rifle
if bolt is working correctly, I would not disassemble

btnh6668
09-18-2010, 01:41 PM
So there is no need to clean further than the barrel and exterior of the bolt?

ellobo
09-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Clean the chambr well but dont let a lot of oil get into it. If a used rifle, run some copper cleaner through it, foaming type. Just clean and wipe the exterior of the bolt with an oiled patch, but not heavily especially in very cold winter hunts. Same for other metal parts.
El Lobo

btnh6668
09-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys for the reply's. My only other question is, how do i pull the bolt back with out having the pull the trigger? There is a 3 point safety. According to the manual on the Savage website i should be able to pull the bolt back on the second point of the safety and i cannot. Right now the only way i can pull the bolt back is if i put the safety on fire and pull the trigger. Any thoughts?

Harriershot
09-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think there is any other way to remove the bolt without pulling the trigger. There is no danger because you don't have to pull the trigger until the bolt is all the way back away from the chamber.

Charlie

btnh6668
09-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't think there is any other way to remove the bolt without pulling the trigger. There is no danger because you don't have to pull the trigger until the bolt is all the way back away from the chamber.

Charlie

Im not trying to remove the bolt im just trying to pull the bolt away from the chamber. I can pull the handle up but it will not go back. The only way i can get it to go back is when the safety is off and i pull the trigger. My issue is obviously when a round is chambered i have no current way of ejecting it.

longpoker
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
On my M111 LRH. the middle position you can open the bolt but you can not remove the bolt.That sounds like you might have a problem,call Savage. ;)