PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 ID HELP! PLEASE.

CharlieCasa
01-17-2018, 12:45 PM
I've searched and searched, I cannot find any information on my Savage model 10. The only kind of numbers on my rifle start with a G. I bought it used, but can't seem to find any information on it what so ever. It's got the accutrigger installed, a synthetic stock, and it came with a Bushnell scope which I'm sure was added after purchase by the previous owner(s). Can anyone point me in the right direction? I read that the serial number prefix G indicates it was made in 2003? Or after. Not sure.

rmkey
01-17-2018, 08:12 PM
I think that info is on the faq page of this forum. If not try accurateshooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieCasa
01-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Thanks. Just got done reading that area. Sorry for the question that had already been answered! Thanks for the response.

Texas10
01-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Simplest way is to call Savage Customer service and give them the serial number. They can tell you exactly when it left the factory and what model it was. What happened to it after that, and what work was done to it is, of course, anyones guess.

CharlieCasa
01-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Thanks. Yeah I think that’s what I’m going to have to do, I’ve tried looking it up since I know it’s a new-ish model but can’t find any info on it. It says model 10 but has a synthetic stock and an accutrigger. The model 10/110’s I’ve seen are only offered in a wood stock I believe?

Zero333
01-18-2018, 11:00 AM
There are model 10 with synthetic stocks... Tactical type model 10's.

CharlieCasa
01-18-2018, 11:14 AM
There are model 10 with synthetic stocks... Tactical type model 10's.

Yeah I know but it’s got a regular stock. It’s not any of them fancy ones. It looks just like a 10/110 trophy hunter but it’s not wood. I can’t find ANY info on it. Normally you can find like past and present models of guns.

RP12
01-18-2018, 03:23 PM
No suck thing as a model 10/110. The / means or.

CharlieCasa
01-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Right. That’s what I’m saying. I’m just using the / instead of typing or.

CharlieCasa
01-18-2018, 05:57 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180118/e27b08d38f1d742e798f2d6f40e441da.jpg

CharlieCasa
01-18-2018, 05:59 PM
But all it says is the model 10, serial number, and caliber. And I can’t find ANY info on it at all. Is it just a cheap package gun? Probably. That’s what I’m leaning more towards. But who knows because it has the accutrigger. Unless the previous owner had the accutrigger put in after purchase.

J.Baker
01-19-2018, 11:37 PM
The G prefix puts it somewhere between 2001 and 2009 manufacture. You can use this link to more accurately identify what year it was made:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?60032-Dating-Serial-Numbers-with-a-Letter-Prefix

Savage changed to the G prefix when they introduced the AccuTrigger, but some package rifles still came with a standard trigger for another year or two before they started using the AT in everything. As such it could either have originally come with the AT or someone could have swapped it in depending on when it was made.

Given the age, I'm guessing you probably purchased this used and as such there's no telling what's been done to it over the years - such as changing the stock. Throw in all the special run models Savage does for the Big-Box stores every year, there's no telling what it may have originally been classified as.

As for what specific model it started as, it really doesn't matter other than your own curiosity. The alphabet soup after the model number just identifies different attributes (stock type, metal type, magazine type, etc). All those are things your eyes can easily tell you by looking at the rifle.

Sporter barrel
Blind Magazine
Synthetic stock
Model 10 roll stamp
No open sights

My guess is that it was likely a Model 10G-XP (package gun) and someone replaced the original hardwood stock with a synthetic one - basically the predecessor of the Trophy Hunter package rifles. The non-package Model 10G would have open sights on the barrel. IIRC the 10/110G and 11/111F designations for the Hunter Series were abandoned around 2007 or 2008.

If you ABSOLUTELY must know what the original model designation was so you can sleep at night, the only way you will be able to find out for certain is to call Savage and give them the S/N.

CharlieCasa
01-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Thanks!