PDA

View Full Version : co mule deer hunt.

wal0001
01-15-2018, 11:33 PM
My nephew and I would really like to try a mule deer hunt in Colorado. Anybody have any experience with a DIY hunt? Not looking for a trophy so to speak, yes I would gladly take one if the opportunity presented itself, but just looking to see some bucks. Someone suggested to head to NM and I am not sure. I live in Tennessee and love hunting out west when I can.

Thanks.

BB68
01-16-2018, 10:22 AM
I dont know what it takes to hunt, but we seen quite a few (and some really nice bucks) while snowmobiling the snowy mountain range. They were all on protected land though. Most of them liked to be on the west side of the mountains.

gbflyer
01-16-2018, 12:48 PM
You will need some preference points to get a decent area. Start soon or you be too old to make the trip[emoji1]

penna shooter
01-16-2018, 12:49 PM
That would be awesome...

Haiku_Rodney
01-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Some friends of mine moved from Tennessee to Wyoming. His wife just posted a picture of mule deer buck that sleeps in their back yard!

wal0001
01-16-2018, 10:01 PM
LOL must be the moonshine!

Cornbread
01-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Most of the good areas are draw only so prefference points help. Most states will sell prefference points for cheap. Honestly it's one of those things where you can spend a little more money and go on a guided hunt and have a very good chance of killing. For diy hunts you may make several trips and not kill so if you add up the cost it's a wash. If you have a lot of time off and just enjoy being in gods country the diy hunts can be very rewarding. But be prepared to walk a ways off the beaten path. It can be very physically demanding. Your best bet can be to hike in and set up a spike camp several miles in and hunt from there. If your time is more limited there are some real good hunts out there if you shop around. My son and one of his buddies went to Montana and killed 2 very good mulies for about $3500.