PDA

View Full Version : .260 barrel to a 6.5 wsm?

flowj
01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Can a .260 barrel off an LRP be reamed for a 6.5 WSM without doing anything to the barrel treads? And who would you recommend?

squirrel_slayer
01-15-2018, 11:47 PM
6.5 saum is a more established cartridge but the wsm would likely clean up the chamber better. I still think the saum would be fine and you would only have to set back the barrel a little. treading the shank may not even be necessary as there is often plenty extra.

flowj
01-16-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking WSM because that's what my donor rifle is. I also have a large shank .260 barrel. Need to stay with the WSM cartridge family because I can't get the stagger feed mag parts . If I go to 6.5 WSM the mag on the rifle will feed them. Just need to find someone to ream the .260 barrel for 6.5 WSM. Thanks

squirrel_slayer
01-16-2018, 06:27 PM
both the 6.5 SAUM and WSM are short mags. they share practically the same body dimensions. the SAUM is less then .100" shorter both should be straight forward re-chambers. only reason I'm trying to push you towards the SAUM as it's becoming very popular and brass, die availability will help you get into the cartridge a lot easier and cheaper. not to mention a lot more load information out there for it.

then there's the 6.5 PRC which again is pretty much the same cartridge just using the RCM case and was developed with the same guy who made the 6.5 SAUM. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6.5-prc-143-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter#!/ this option actually has factory ammo options from Hornady. all are short mags and should work fine in your action. 4D reamer rentals has all 3 reamers in their inventory.

Cmgoff
01-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Can a .260 barrel off an LRP be reamed for a 6.5 WSM without doing anything to the barrel treads? And who would you recommend?Honestly I have never liked the thought of re-chambering a barrel. My issue lies in aligning the new chamber with the bore of the barrel. The shoulder of the wsm reamer will find it's own center when it comes in contact with the leading edge of the pre-existing chamber rather than the piolit aligning with the bore maintaining consontricity. I think this method relies on the previous chamber being well aligned and the breach being cut perpendicular.

I know this is common practice for many gunsmiths, and arguably I have never tried it myself so I am just speculating. Personally I would just buy a new prefit in wsm and have both barrels.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

flowj
01-16-2018, 10:15 PM
Has anyone out there rechambered a barrel and had any accuracy issues? I can't find a print on the SAUM, but if it is nearly .100" shorter that might be an issue. The case on a WSM is 2.100" the .260 is 2.035" I've never cut a chamber but it seems the WSM reamer would cut .065" into fresh rifling that has less if any throat errosion. The SAUM if .100" shorter might not get thru the lands the .260 has been eating on. Don't know. Anyone actually rechambering please chime in. Thanks

squirrel_slayer
01-16-2018, 11:26 PM
i've rechambered a .223 barrel but it's not a "accuracy build" was a sporter that I shortened and reamed to a wildcat.

the 6.5 SAUM is more know as the 6.5 GAP 4s google that and you'll find pages and pages of info. it too is 2.035" long (max length 2.025 trim length) it should be pretty close as a straight rechamber but I see no harm in shortening the barrel 1 thread or so. i'd be willing to bet you could do a few threads and still have plenty of shank to work with if you want a fresh throat.

there is a easy way to check. you can screw the barrel nut as far as it will go (towards the muzzle) then throw a .260 headspace gauge or fired case in the barrel with the recoil lug you plan to use then thread it till it's flush against the bolt face. once seated, however much of the shank is left between the nut and recoil lug is how much you can afford to lose without having to re-thread. I think you'll be suprised how much there will be. you'll obviously want to leave a little extra as a buffer.

not saying you can't go WSM but defintely do some homework and weigh your options. ie. brass and die price and availablility, load data, will there be mag length issue with the bullet you want to run? ect....

the gentleman above is correct about the reamer not engaging the pilot untill it's a good ways into the chamber making sure to dial in the barrel with a indicator rod you could open up the chamber some with a boring bar to let the reamer start cutting the later into the chamber or hopefully after the pilot has engaged the bore. when I did mine I was able to get into the bore before it started cutting but the cartridge is 5/8" shorter than .223.