PDA

View Full Version : bull barrel on boys stock

alextm33
01-14-2018, 02:53 PM
I recently acquired a er Shaw bull barrel for my axis 22 250 that I plan on putting on next summer when the coyote season closes.i have a boyds prairie hunter stock on my gun and am wondering if I will have enough meat/room in the stock for the bull barrel.i know I will have to dremel it out but will to much have to be takin out .any suggestions or experience at this. I don't want to put the barrel on yet and dremel the stock out to figure out that it's to much and I got the stock ruined .id rather try to sell the stock then and get the one for the savage heavy barrel axis.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Evlshnngns
01-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Map it out 1'' at a time, use calipers to check the stock. If you have some dowels and sandpaper, I bet it will work. I bought the bull barrel Boyds stock, let me know if you need any measurements.

ebgb68
01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Its real easy to open up the barrel channel on the Boyds No dremmel needed . Run down to your local hardware store buy some 3/4 , 7/8 , 1" dowel and 60 grit sand paper. The savage barrels are straight taper so no angles to figure out.
Set the barreled action in the stock and work from the muzzle in sanding the channel wider . Take little off and recheck not to go to wide I like to make the barrel fit tight the full length then float it .

DrThunder88
01-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Boyds' website cautions against opening the barrel channels of the Classic, Prairie Hunter, and Featherweight Thumbhole, but it's certainly possible and an easy project.

SageRat Shooter
01-31-2018, 03:46 PM
I have the Prairie hunter stock on my 22-250... I put a heavy sporter CBI 26" barrel on mine. I have about an 1/8" of meat left on the barrel channel "flats". I would NOT try to put a Bull barrel in that stock. It might be suitable for a Lite Varmint profile (same as a heavy sporter according to website).

For Bull barrel I'd look at the Pro Varmint from Boyds.