PDA

View Full Version : Best Model to convert to a wildcat?

Wilyote
01-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Hi, I currently own a Virgin Valley Encore barrel in the 20 Tactical. I currently have 300 pieces of Dakota 20 Tact brass and dies so, I'm not switching over to the practical, the vartag or what ever 20-223 there is. The Encore frame is currently being used by my son and his 257 Roberts barrel. I want to convert a Savage bolt action 223 to this caliber. I have access to a savage 20 Tact barrel (11 twist). What I am unsure of is the differences in the models Savage has.. 10, 110, 11, 16, 25? I am actively seeking a donor 223 rifle at the moment. This rifle will be for coyotes. I plan on using the 32 gr bullets.
1.) Are the threads the same?
2.) Should I go with the accu trigger or an aftermarket trigger?
3.) Is the accu stock worth paying for or should I just bed the action?

I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thank you in advance.

geargrinder
01-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Two digit models are the short actions, like a half ton ford F150.

Three digit models are the long actions, like a 3/4 ton ford F250.

110, 111, 112, 114, 116, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16's are just different versions of the same rifle, like an XLT, Lariat, King Ranch...

Some are stainless, some are blue, some have accu-trigger, some have accu- stock.....

#1- Yes, for the most part you can swap parst at will. Note that large shank barrels came on target actions and WSM actions. Those actions aren't compatible with your barrel.

#2- Id have to say it's personal preference. I like the old factory 3-screw trigger better than the accutrigger. But for bench work, I really prefer a good aftermarket. It isn't bad, just not my preference.

#3- I don't like any of the accustocks. I'll use a plain plastic stock for a lightweight carry rifle, or a nice composite/laminate for anything else.

jpdown
01-14-2018, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the site. I started out barrel and stock swapping with Encore actions many years ago before I became a Savage "barrel nut".

If your looking to buy new, IMO the Cabela's 12FV is currently the best value in terms of what you get for the money to build on. Especially when it goes on sale or Savage Arms offers a rebate. The Cabela's 12FV is a Savage black matte, short action, center feed (4.40") with a varmint Accutrigger (adjust down to around 1.5 lbs), top bolt release, and oversized bolt handle. The action is threaded for small shank Savage barrels. You can sell the 26" varmint contour barrel (.204 or .223) as a new take-off. The synthetic stock is light-weight with blind magazine and beaver tail forearm. Lots of aftermarket stocks and parts for this Savage SA configuration.

Since you already have the barrel you want, another option would be to become a paid member on the site. This will give you access to the classified section. You can then post a Want To Buy (WTB) or look for a new/used take-off Savage SA (10, 11, 12, 14, 16) with .204, .223 bolt face, center feed action for sale and the other parts needed to customize your build.

Wilyote
01-14-2018, 06:53 PM
Thank you gear grinder. Much appreciated. Since this will be a walking rifle, I will keep the Tupperware stock and bed it. Now to find my donor rifle.

Wilyote
01-15-2018, 10:43 AM
JP. Thanks for the input. I have a Cabela's close to me.

DeadWoodDan
01-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Keep your eye on the classifieds not only on this forum, but others including local shops. I just bought "almost" what you are looking for from a member, WV1951, for what i thought was a one of the best buys yet. Savage members are very nice and always willing to help. Also I have found a wealth of knowledge in the Savage FAQ's page, link is on the top bar.
DWD

squirrel_slayer
01-17-2018, 05:15 PM
not sure if savage is still having their big sales but they were offering $100 on up discounts on a lot of models. you could get into a axis for a hair over $200. as long as your barrel is a small shank you should be fine with any .223 based rifle (.204 ruger would also work as a donor)