PDA

View Full Version : Model 11

WidowHunter
01-14-2018, 12:42 AM
Waiting on my 11 Trophy Predator Hunter in 223. It is the package which comes scoped,that'll be replaced immediately. It comes with a 22" bl and accutrigger. My question, is there any pros and cons to this rifle? Anything I should be aware of fixing,replacing? I purchased as a lightweight coyote rifle. Thanks in advance.

penna shooter
01-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Packaged short-action Savage Arms Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter offers user-adjustable AccuTrigger technology, silky smooth bolt operation.
the 22-inch, matte blued, carbon steel barrel is button rifled for long-lasting accuracy.
It weighs 9 pounds.

3x9x40mm scope; user-adjustable AccuTrigger
Button-rifled 22-inch carbon steel barrel
camo stock; detachable 4-round box magazine

WHATS NOT TO LIKE....Solid, light weight and accurate...Congrats and good luck.

Only thing I would change is the base, rings, and scope or shoot it in and see results?

DeadWoodDan
01-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Not to high-jack the thread in any way, but I am also interested in this specific model. My knowledge is limited, but growing quickly with the savage model 110 line and all its variants. I will add from what I've picked up so far if you ever decided to do a barrel swap we will most likely want to change from a smooth nut to the grooved style. Add to that I believe there is a combo wrench for removal/install of both styles. Mine is a 22-250 with Vortex scope and have done some quick and dirty load development with 53GR VMax and H4895. Waiting on Spring when weather isn't as cold to do some more testing.

I have a Model 12 FV coming very soon in .223 and hope to do some comparison. I have seen these models around for about half the price of the model 12, but equal to or a little more than the Axis line so wanting to know how they are different, seems we can do barrel swaps on any of them.

DWD

Stumpkiller
01-14-2018, 11:15 AM
I have a Model 11 Trophy Hunter (XP packge). I removed the rings and set the bases myself - checked the front base screw to make sure it wasn't bottoming out on the barrel threads (I ended up grinding down 1/16" just to flush it up and be sure. Locktited all and set them to 30 in-lbs.

Replaced the aluminum rings with Warne 201 medium.

I had a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40mm (2011 era) that was a perfect match and slightly better in every category from the Nikon model-less 3-9x40mm it came with. I'll use that on a carbine I have.

The only real work was the left side of the barrel channel was rubbing on the barrel. Very easy to take a utility knife, rasp and then sanding blocks to open that so I have "4 business cards thick" clearance from the receiver forward.

Only other thing was to pick-up a second magazine - though t loads well enough from the top in place I'll likely seldom remove it.

Ended up adding about 1/4 lb to the whole rig. Still comes in at 7-1/2 lbs unloaded. Good to go!

Newtosavage
01-17-2018, 06:03 PM
If that's coming with the Nikon scope, you might want to try it for a while before you replace it. They are much better than most "package" scopes IMO.