PDA

View Full Version : NewB Axis question

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Willy
01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised I don't read more about the epoxy bedding for scopes on the Savage site. To me, if you use a good epoxy (J Weld ?) for bedding on the rings, and rosin powder, the scope should have a perfect support. Agree, disagree?

kimbrell224
01-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Well, I care... Most of us are here because we all needed help or advise in some manner. Brotherhood of the barrel nut is accurate for most guys on here. We all like to help the next guy get out of his rifle what he's looking to get out of it.... Glad you found an improvement and happier with your purchase.

What changes did you make other than the ammo and rings?

The only other thing I done today was to make sure my rest was as far from the forearm end as it could be like you suggested

CaptnC
01-27-2018, 11:57 PM
I'm surprised I don't read more about the epoxy bedding for scopes on the Savage site. To me, if you use a good epoxy (J Weld ?) for bedding on the rings, and rosin powder, the scope should have a perfect support. Agree, disagree?

Sir you never bed the scope!

Many guys, myself included, bed our scope base to the receiver.

Also never use loctite on scope ring screws. If you bed your base properly you really only need to properly torque the base screws.

CaptnC
01-28-2018, 12:15 AM
Here’s another problem I ran into....I mounted the scope with Vortex Pro rings by procedure and free the first 5 or 6 shots the scope had slid all the way forward. Not only did I have to start all over with zeroing, it scratched the scope pretty bad. I was not happy about that at all. I might look for a different set of rings today.

I'd like to hear more on how the scope moved inside the rings...I am using Vortex rings exclusively and have never had a scope move. You didn't happen to put a 1" tube scope in 30mm rings did you?

All my long range shooters have EGW bases and Vortex rings (6 screw Tactical not the Pro)...solid as a rock!

If installed properly!

Now the cheap a$$ Axis stock can be made serviceable. I used old aluminum arrows in each section then poured in aluminum impregnated bondo. Then used 80 grit sand paper to "float" the barrel. When I was done I could rest my head on my forearm on top of the receiver while sliding heavy paper between the barrel and the for end. I had a bi-pod on the for end and just had the butt on the table. To be honest I was surprised it was that solid. My Boyd stock should be delivered next Thursday.

I also replace the trigger spring tonight and polished all the contact points on the trigger. Made a huge difference!

So my 6.5 x 284 Frankenstein build is ready for the range tomorrow!

kimbrell224
01-28-2018, 07:33 AM
I'd like to hear more on how the scope moved inside the rings...I am using Vortex rings exclusively and have never had a scope move. You didn't happen to put a 1" tube scope in 30mm rings did you?

All my long range shooters have EGW bases and Vortex rings (6 screw Tactical not the Pro)...solid as a rock!

If installed properly!

Now the cheap a$$ Axis stock can be made serviceable. I used old aluminum arrows in each section then poured in aluminum impregnated bondo. Then used 80 grit sand paper to "float" the barrel. When I was done I could rest my head on my forearm on top of the receiver while sliding heavy paper between the barrel and the for end. I had a bi-pod on the for end and just had the butt on the table. To be honest I was surprised it was that solid. My Boyd stock should be delivered next Thursday.

I also replace the trigger spring tonight and polished all the contact points on the trigger. Made a huge difference!

So my 6.5 x 284 Frankenstein build is ready for the range tomorrow!

No sir. I have the Diamondback DBK-M-03P and I used the Vortex Pro VPR-1M. I mounted it by the procedure on Vortex website, shot five shots and noticed my eye relief was changing. I seen the scratches and noticed it had moved an inch so I tightened the rings beyond spec and I didn’t move anymore but my group sucked. I changed to Leupold rings the very next day and shot a .625 three shot group.

ltcg
01-28-2018, 09:44 AM
I’ve got a positive follow up if anyone cares. I couldn’t stand it, so I picked up some Leupold rings and Hornady Whitetail ammo in 129 grain. My groups at 50 yards went from 1.5” yesterday to .625” today and I got money back from the Vortex rings. I guess you could say I got paid to shoot smaller groups. That’s what I’m telling my wife anyway. I’d post some pics of the rifle and groups but I’m not exactly sure how to do that.Which Leupold rings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

kimbrell224
01-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Which Leupold rings?

Cheap Leupold Rifleman 1” high rings.

ltcg
01-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Cheap Leupold Rifleman 1” high rings.Glad it worked! I just picked up two sets of those and one set of PRW, but haven't had a chance to use any yet.

Willy
01-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Sir you never bed the scope!

Many guys, myself included, bed our scope base to the receiver.

Also never use loctite on scope ring screws. If you bed your base properly you really only need to properly torque the base screws.

You never bed a scope? Isn't that what you are doing when you lap the rings? You are providing a better aligned/more contact surface area for the scope tube to sit in. I've seen Savages where the points on the alignment bars were off by at least an 1/8 th of an inch. No amount of ring lapping will take up that kind of misalignment and to mount a scope on such rings would place a lot of stress on the scope tube. Use a thin layer of J-B Weld epoxy on the bottom half of the scope ring to rest the telescope on, remove after the epoxy has begun to set (obviously before it's hardened too much or you won't get the scope out), and you have the most accurate and aligned bed for the scope to rest on.

CaptnC
01-28-2018, 11:50 PM
No Willy, I've never bedded a scope. But I all ways use one piece rails so I've not had the need to lap any rings..lucky I guess.

Willy
01-29-2018, 08:02 AM
No Willy, I've never bedded a scope. But I all ways use one piece rails so I've not had the need to lap any rings..lucky I guess.

You're right on that; I wish I had used one piece rails for all of my rifles, but they seem to be more difficult to find in Canada. Maybe next time I'll just order them online.