PDA

View Full Version : NewB Axis question

Pages : 1 [2] 3

penna shooter
01-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Welcome aboard

kimbrell224
01-24-2018, 04:33 PM
Break out the hack saw and take the the end off the EGW. I have 4 of their bases and I've done it to all of mine. Birchwood Casey makes Aluminum Black to re-black the cut off end...can't tell it was ever there.

I'm now using 30mm Vortex Low rings even with heavy barrels 50mm objectives...eye relief is now perfect

I went and picked up some Vortex mediums today at Academy (sucks they’re $20 higher than eBay). I mounted them and only had to move forward just a little. It’s better but I still don’t like it. I’m really considering cutting off the end of the base and trying the lows.

SageRat Shooter
01-24-2018, 04:59 PM
For me the problem with the Axis wasn't the objective end clearance... The problem was with the ocular lens housing.... When the bolt is cycled, the bolt handle hits the bell housing and causes damage to the scope (cosmetic) or it won't cycle all the way.

I ran a Bushnell trophy hunter 4-12x40, and currently a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x42.

I used standard two-piece Weaver bases and X High Weaver rings.... I had to file off the bolt handle a bit where it kept striking the housing. As I said, just cosmetic damage, nothing functionally damaged.

chewy1010
01-24-2018, 06:48 PM
For me the problem with the Axis wasn't the objective end clearance... The problem was with the ocular lens housing.... When the bolt is cycled, the bolt handle hits the bell housing and causes damage to the scope (cosmetic) or it won't cycle all the way.

I ran a Bushnell trophy hunter 4-12x40, and currently a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x42.

I used standard two-piece Weaver bases and X High Weaver rings.... I had to file off the bolt handle a bit where it kept striking the housing. As I said, just cosmetic damage, nothing functionally damaged.

That's the reason I haven’t tried anything lower than the mediums. I believe anything lower and I’m gonna run into bolt clearance problems. OP you may want to double check that real well before you try and go any lower. I didn’t want to run into any problems like that so I left mine. It’s plenty low enough for me now.

Mb1500
01-24-2018, 09:39 PM
The Glades handle gives more clearance over the factory piece, if that helps.

kimbrell224
01-25-2018, 04:52 PM
I cut the end off the base and kept the mediums on and was able to slide the scope back a half inch or so. I'm going to leave it like it is for now. I went and picked up a box of Federal Non Typical Whitetail ammo in 140 grain to finish the break in and see how close i could get it. I ended up with ~1" group at fifty yards which didn't impress me. I'll try a different load next time out. I would like to do something about the trigger travel. Any suggestions?

SageRat Shooter
01-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Not sure what you mean by trigger travel...? What are you shooting off of? (Bags or Bipod). I think you're going to need to upgrade your stock to something like a Boyds before you'll see an improvement in your groups... That Tupperware stock can be squeezed up against your barrel just by setting it on bags... A bipod may even be worse.

Grab the for end of your stock and give it a squeeze... I bet you can get it to touch the barrel without much force.

kimbrell224
01-25-2018, 05:43 PM
Not sure what you mean by trigger travel...? What are you shooting off of? (Bags or Bipod). I think you're going to need to upgrade your stock to something like a Boyds before you'll see an improvement in your groups... That Tupperware stock can be squeezed up against your barrel just by setting it on bags... A bipod may even be worse.

Grab the for end of your stock and give it a squeeze... I bet you can get it to touch the barrel without much force.

The stock does give like you're talking about but it's not touching when it's in the rest. I assume it touches during the shot. Is that the problem? I'm shooting from a bench and home made rest. The trigger travel (i guess that's what you call it) is when I'm squeezing and can feel it move what seems like a mile before it goes off.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this bench shooting accuracy stuff. I've hunted all my life and have never really shot more than 3-5 rounds a year just to check my scope and go hunt. I bought this inexpensive toy to have something to piddle with because I've been hearing so much about the creedmoor. Today I actually sat down and shot 25 rounds.

SageRat Shooter
01-25-2018, 05:53 PM
The stock does give like you're talking about but it's not touching when it's in the rest. I assume it touches during the shot. Is that the problem? I'm shooting from a bench and home made rest. The trigger travel (i guess that's what you call it) is when I'm squeezing and can feel it move what seems like a mile before it goes off.

Like I said, I'm new to all of this bench shooting accuracy stuff. I've hunted all my life and have never really shot more than 3-5 rounds a year just to check my scope and go hunt. I bought this inexpensive toy to have something to piddle with because I've been hearing so much about the creedmoor. Today I actually sat down and shot 25 rounds.

That would be correct. It does touch during the shot. For now, try pushing the rifle into your rest all the way to the magazine or front of the trigger guard. That doesn't put as much pressure or weight on the for end of the stock. That's what I did until I got my Boyds Prairie Hunter stock.

The 6.5 Creed is an accurate round from what I've found (I actually have a 260 Rem, but they are pretty much the same thing) I am a hand loader however, so I can improve accuracy just a bit more. The other thing I sill suggest is: if the 140s didn't work as well as you wanted, try dropping down to the 130s and see if your barrel likes those better.

Edit: do you have the Accutrigger or Standard trigger in yours?

Evlshnngns
01-25-2018, 06:11 PM
My gun didn't like the whitetail ammo either, I think it was a light gr bullet though.

kimbrell224
01-25-2018, 06:16 PM
That would be correct. It does touch during the shot. For now, try pushing the rifle into your rest all the way to the magazine or front of the trigger guard. That doesn't put as much pressure or weight on the for end of the stock. That's what I did until I got my Boyds Prairie Hunter stock.

The 6.5 Creed is an accurate round from what I've found (I actually have a 260 Rem, but they are pretty much the same thing) I am a hand loader however, so I can improve accuracy just a bit more. The other thing I sill suggest is: if the 140s didn't work as well as you wanted, try dropping down to the 130s and see if your barrel likes those better.

Edit: do you have the Accutrigger or Standard trigger in yours?

Mine has the standard trigger and I assume that may be part of the problem. It's pulling 3.5# which doesn't feel too bad to me. I think I'll try the Hornady American Whitetail in 129 grain next.

kimbrell224
01-25-2018, 06:35 PM
My gun didn't like the whitetail ammo either, I think it was a light gr bullet though.

What are you shooting?

kimbrell224
01-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Here’s another problem I ran into....I mounted the scope with Vortex Pro rings by procedure and free the first 5 or 6 shots the scope had slid all the way forward. Not only did I have to start all over with zeroing, it scratched the scope pretty bad. I was not happy about that at all. I might look for a different set of rings today.

Mb1500
01-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Did you lap the rings and secure with lock-tite on the threads?

SageRat Shooter
01-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Here’s another problem I ran into....I mounted the scope with Vortex Pro rings by procedure and free the first 5 or 6 shots the scope had slid all the way forward. Not only did I have to start all over with zeroing, it scratched the scope pretty bad. I was not happy about that at all. I might look for a different set of rings today.

With the standard trigger and heavier pull weight (3 lbs and up) there seems to be some "creep" with them. I did a trigger job on mine (coil snipping--voids warranty) to make it about 2 lbs or there about.
I prefer the 6 hole Blackhawk tactical rings myself. They run about $50 for the set. Rings usually need about 20-25 inch lbs. to secure the scope depending on what they're made out of.

The other thing that may be effecting accuracy is the wrist part of the stock will flex when pulling the trigger and during recoil. Makes it pretty difficult to repeat time after time.

kimbrell224
01-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Did you lap the rings and secure with lock-tite on the threads?

No, after looking at the rings mounted and the way they scratched my scoped, theres now way lapping will help these rings. They tightened to a sharp edge underneath the tube and didn't have very much flat surface area. Locktite was not recommended so I didn't use any on the rings.

kimbrell224
01-26-2018, 11:15 AM
With the standard trigger and heavier pull weight (3 lbs and up) there seems to be some "creep" with them. I did a trigger job on mine (coil snipping--voids warranty) to make it about 2 lbs or there about.
I prefer the 6 hole Blackhawk tactical rings myself. They run about $50 for the set. Rings usually need about 20-25 inch lbs. to secure the scope depending on what they're made out of.

The other thing that may be effecting accuracy is the wrist part of the stock will flex when pulling the trigger and during recoil. Makes it pretty difficult to repeat time after time.

I've seen those rings and like the looks of them. As far as I'm concerned the rings I have are garbage. I'll try to work on the wrist and I'm not sure that I want to void the warranty just yet.

SageRat Shooter
01-26-2018, 11:26 AM
There isn't much you can do with the wrist area.... I know cuz I tried... Hence ordering a Boyds Laminate wood stock. no flex in the wrist, and the for end can't be squeezed up against the barrel. Probably the best upgrade I made on mine (with the exception of Putting a CBI aftermarket barrel on mine) My axis is a 22-250 by the way.... Which has a lot less recoil than the 6.5 Creed.

I built my 260 Rem off of the 111 action, which in my opinion is a far better platform to start with.

kimbrell224
01-26-2018, 04:22 PM
I’ve got a positive follow up if anyone cares. I couldn’t stand it, so I picked up some Leupold rings and Hornady Whitetail ammo in 129 grain. My groups at 50 yards went from 1.5” yesterday to .625” today and I got money back from the Vortex rings. I guess you could say I got paid to shoot smaller groups. That’s what I’m telling my wife anyway. I’d post some pics of the rifle and groups but I’m not exactly sure how to do that.

SageRat Shooter
01-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Well, I care... Most of us are here because we all needed help or advise in some manner. Brotherhood of the barrel nut is accurate for most guys on here. We all like to help the next guy get out of his rifle what he's looking to get out of it.... Glad you found an improvement and happier with your purchase.

What changes did you make other than the ammo and rings?