PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Problems

durango
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a model 12, .223 Rem. I adjusted the three screw trigger as per the sticky on this site. Pull is around 3 pounds. On the next trip to the range, I started experiencing trigger release as soon as the bolt closed. This was not 'slammed' closed, just a normal closing. If I closed it very gingerly it wouldn't fire (until trigger release). I had not used any thread lock and assumed that a screw had loosened, so I pulled the action from the stock and with an empty chamber, I dropped the tang on a block of soft wood and could not get it to release, put a fired case in the chamber and dropped it several more times--no change.

The following mods have been done: Boyd's Varmint thumbhole, pillars and glass bedded, bolt lift kit (38 spl case & bearing), added a .060 washer under the bolt handle screw, SSS tactical bolt handle. Have the wire and plan to do the trigger spring next.

Any thoughts or ideas why I can't get it to malfunction in the shop? Seems to have clearance in the stock and I had no problems until I started messing with it. HELP---PLEASE!! Steve

durango
09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Update--After reading my post, I went to the shop and put the action back in the stock, and now its failing the drop test and the bolt closing. Where do I look next? Steve

Blue Avenger
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
friction between the sear release and stock. turn up the spring pressure a bit or replace the spring with a lighter wire. It is not the pressure but lack of movement the loose spring is causing maybe.

bodywerks
09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
I assume this is an accutrigger? My next move would be to remove it and replace it with a SSS comp or evolution trigger - problem solved.

ShaneG.
09-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Got a 12bvss 308 that I played with the trigger on and after a while I had to adjust in more sear engagement. Not sure if it was due to wear or just lost some adjustment but it only took a small amount of tweeking to get it to work properly again.

BillPa
09-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, lets see....

so I pulled the action from the stock and with an empty chamber, I dropped the tang on a block of soft wood and could not get it to release, put a fired case in the chamber and dropped it several more times--no change.

Update--After reading my post, I went to the shop and put the action back in the stock, and now its failing the drop test and the bolt closing.

Just as a casual observer I'll take a wild guess and say maybe it has sometime to do with the action to stock fit. It could be something a simple as the trigger foot contacting the trigger guard not allowing it to fully reset, the sear making contact, twisting-bending the action when the screws are tightened....

Personally, I'd be making use of some transfer goop, inletting black-gold to see if the trigger group is contacting anywhere.

One thing for sure, if it works out of the stock, but not in it, the trigger ain't the problem.

Bill

durango
09-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks, everyone-Seems it was the trigger rubbing against the trigger guard. Steve