PDA

View Full Version : .30 carbine die

PaddyD
01-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Rummaging through a box of random dies at a flea market I found a set of Lee carbide dies for .30 carbine. The sizer die has the small decapping pin broken. Here's my question. Does this die size like a straight walled pistol case? I noticed there's no expander button on the stem like with a bottle necked case. So, can I just go on Amazon.com and order the $4 replacement stem for the universal decapping die? I can't seem to locate a stem specifically for the Lee .30 Carbine die.
Thanks as always.

LHitchcox
01-08-2018, 10:38 AM
I am guessing here, but the early Lee dies did expand the neck, however the entire rod was the expander diameter. Later they went to a rod with a tapered expander on it. Call Lee and ask which rod you need. They are easy to work with. My expectation is that the same rod for a .308 Win will work.

Looks like I guessed wrong. The Lee website shows the .30 carbine dies using a pistol decapping rod, so they do work like pistol dies.

bigedp51
01-08-2018, 06:38 PM
I use a universal decapping die and wet tumble the cases before sizing. When you have firearms that throw perfectly brass away that lands on the ground wet tumbling will remove any dirt or grit that can scratch the case or die.

Bottom line, you will not need to replace the dies decapping pin if you have a universal decapping die. (subliminal suggestion)

But on the other hand if you send a email to Lee they will send you a pin or pins for free.

3 DIE SET 30M1 CARBIDE (parts list on this page)

https://leeprecision.com/3-die-set-30m1-carbide.html

PaddyD
01-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Lee graciously offered to send me a de capping stem free of charge , but I would need to pay $5.12 shipping. While I think it's great they warrant their products unconditionally, but it is really an unconditional warranty if I have to pay more than double what they list the part for just to get it mailed to me? I went to Amazon Prime and ordered one for $4.23 shipped and it will arrive day after tomorrow..