PDA

View Full Version : Drilling out holes for pillars

jrgreene1968
01-04-2018, 09:02 PM
I’m going to try my luck installing pillars and glass bedding my new Boyd’s pro varmint.
Wandering if there’s any tricks to keep from chipping out the laminate while drilling holes out?
Thanks

Johnny_V
01-04-2018, 10:01 PM
When installing pillars, it's best to do it on a mill in a fixture. If you're interested in doing it and don't have a mill, then I suggest using a sharp spade drill after plugging and gluing the existing holes to prevent wobble. This is just my 2¢....

foxx
01-04-2018, 11:55 PM
I have done a lot of this and have quit trying to or worrying about not breaking / chipping out the stock. I just drill it out and make repairs with good amount of epoxy and maybe metal splints.

short round
01-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Drill part way through stock, turn stock over & finish drilling.

gbflyer
01-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Get a piloted drill if you're worried about it. Works great.

penna shooter
01-05-2018, 08:06 AM
Good info...Thanks

jrgreene1968
01-05-2018, 08:07 AM
Thanks for replies , my pillars and devcon supposed to be here in the morning, hopefully I can get it done this weekend

daved20319
01-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Use a Forstner style bit, one with the cutting edges on the sides as well as the center. You'll also need a drill press or mill, this isn't the sort of bit you want to be using in a hand drill. As long as the stock is well clamped, you can even use these to cut on the edge of a workpiece. Later.

Dave

Texas10
01-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Ditto on the drill press as a minimum requirement. Assuming the action screw holes are located and pre-drilled undersize, you'll need to accurately pick up those locations and clamp the stock securely. If using a Forstner style bit, be sure the pilot hole is large enough that the bit does not want to self feed. Your biggest issue is going to be getting the hole counter bore set to the exact depth, presuming you're using Savage style pillars. I prefer to counter bore a bit deep and bed the pillars to a precise fit using the Devcon. Be sure to measure and mix the Devcon accurately. 9 to 1 by weight if using a scale and keep everything warm before and during cure.

jpdown
01-31-2018, 12:51 PM
After bad luck with hand drill and bits, I use a Drexel tool and small router bit.