PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Texas Solo
01-04-2018, 11:40 AM
It's only 30* - 40* degrees here in South Texas.
Looks like Trump has solved Global warming too :)

penna shooter
01-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Single digits days for us...No motorcycle riding today...

wbm
01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Am on one of the Sea Islands in South Carolina this winter....first heavy snow in decades and record cold here also. High yesterday 31 and low last night of 22 with 4" of snow in between. Lowest daytime high for Savannah ever...30 for a high yesterday. Lot's of records being broken. More snow in coastal South Carolina this winter than at 7000' in the Zuni Mountains of New Mexico. Maybe I shoulda stayed home this winter. Climate change? Oh yeah.

Stumpkiller
01-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Globe heats, polar caps melt, seas rise and currents change, ocean temperatures change, more moisture in air, more rain and snow fall. Warm places get cold, cold places get warm.

Might only be a few degrees rise in temp, but on average worldwide, it is warmer.

Might also be nothing we can stop because it took us 200 years to get here.

When enough people die we'll stop laughing about it . . . maybe. Our house is 1,800 feet above sea level and it is in a nice climate - neither too hot nor too cold. IMHO we could do better with about 5,000,000,000 fewer folks worldwide. ;-)

Wait until it impacts the corn and wheat crops for a few years in a row. Do you know how much of what we eat is corn based (including feed for meat animals).

yobuck
01-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Globe heats, polar caps melt, seas rise and currents change, ocean temperatures change, more moisture in air, more rain and snow fall. Warm places get cold, cold places get warm.

Might only be a few degrees rise in temp, but on average worldwide, it is warmer.

Might also be nothing we can stop because it took us 200 years to get here.

When enough people die we'll stop laughing about it . . . maybe. Our house is 1,800 feet above sea level and it is in a nice climate - neither too hot nor too cold. IMHO we could do better with about 5,000,000,000 fewer folks worldwide. ;-)

Wait until it impacts the corn and wheat crops for a few years in a row. Do you know how much of what we eat is corn based (including feed for meat animals).

YES, and at one time there were dinosaurs, saber tooth tigers, and huge birds wandering around on this planet also, and climate change took them all away. And as i recall that was before we had humans to blame it all on.
Notice also that the dire predictions by great scientists like Al Gore arent scheduled to happen till after they are all gone.

Stumpkiller
01-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Carl Sagan and Arthur C. Clark - They warned us in the 60's & 70's and they are gone.

The dinosaurs died because their brains were small and they couldn't adapt quickly. Like 90% of our politicians.

PS - Al Gore is not a scientist. He majored in "Government" at Harvard.

J.Baker
01-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Climate change is nothing new and happens in minute scale every single day whether we want to recognize it or not. The Earth's climate goes through regular cycles, always has and always will. Our arrogance and ego as humans gives us the audacity to think that somehow we're important enough to be the cause of it and that we're advanced enough to do something to prevent it. The Earth has been here for hundreds of billions of years before we pesky human's showed up and it will be here for hundreds of billions of years after we're long gone.

yobuck
01-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Carl Sagan and Arthur C. Clark - They warned us in the 60's & 70's and they are gone.

The dinosaurs died because their brains were small and they couldn't adapt quickly. Like 90% of our politicians.

PS - Al Gore is not a scientist. He majored in "Government" at Harvard.

He obviously failed the big final test.
But he did find his niche and also quite a fortune selling global warming after the massage parlor failure.
I also remember Sagan well, too bad he isn't still with us to explain himself better.
There were lots of weirdos on tv in the 60s, wish i could remember more of them, but certainly Alfred Hitchcock comes to mind.
He made a fortune scaring people also.

Stumpkiller
01-04-2018, 04:33 PM
In something like two billion years the Sun will have burned off enough Hydrogen that it will "burp" before collapsing a bit and the ring of plasma ejected will fry the Earth. Some organisms may survive that event.

yobuck
01-04-2018, 04:51 PM
In something like two billion years the Sun will have burned off enough Hydrogen that it will "burp" before collapsing a bit and the ring of plasma ejected will fry the Earth. Some organisms may survive that event.

That right there is some really good information to have.

wbm
01-04-2018, 06:09 PM
We have been getting warmer since the last ice age. One of the things that global warming hysteria results in is the constant bombardment in print that warming is bad for everything and everyone everywhere. That is an ill wind indeed. Ask someone if the Sahara desert is the result of global warming or cooling. Bet you don't get the correct answer and that would be cooling.

https://www.cfact.org/2017/01/04/dr-judith-curry-resigns/

sharpshooter
01-04-2018, 11:26 PM
I, for one, am not gonna lose any sleep over it.......where's my electric blanket?

yobuck
01-05-2018, 09:13 AM
I, for one, am not gonna lose any sleep over it.......where's my electric blanket?

Will the wind mills provide enough energy to run those things?
This winter will prove out to be interesting in some ways.

J.Baker
01-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Will the wind mills provide enough energy to run those things?
This winter will prove out to be interesting in some ways.

We definitely have enough wind turbines around here to find out.

http://wind.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Ohio-blue-creek-wf-near-van-wert.jpg

Robinhood
01-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Global warning might be at best a distraction. As alumina and toxins in our soils, fluoride and other toxins in our water move from conspiracy to fact in the media, we might want to look that direction a little more. In my opinion this is the most concerning man made issue.

yobuck
01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Global warning might be at best a distraction. As alumina and toxins in our soils, fluoride and other toxins in our water move from conspiracy to fact in the media, we might want to look that direction a little more. In my opinion this is the most concerning man made issue.

I think enough (looking) has already been done.
Action however is a different matter.
When big money and politics are involved in anything, big money and polititions always win.
No where is that more evident than here in Florida with the sugar industry and its affect on Lake Okeechobee
and nearby waterways.
Take your pick on what political party is to blame, because they've all been involved, and they've all promised solutions.