PDA

View Full Version : Axis II 6.5 Creedmoor budget long range build

Pages : 1 [2]

John Knoper
02-13-2018, 10:38 PM
Okay, opinion noted. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

DrThunder88
02-13-2018, 10:49 PM
It's not an opinion. That's really the only difference between an Axis and an Axis II. I would be shocked if the inletting on the At-One is different from any of Boyds other stocks, and all of Boyds' Axis stocks will fit the Axis II.

foxx
02-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Okay, opinion noted. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

Axis and Axis II are identical in all respects except the Axis II has the Accutrigger and the Axis has a standard trigger. All other parts and profiles are the same. Any stock that fits one will fit the other.

The original Axis model came with a traditional trigger. Some people prefer the Accutigger and therefore, one morning Savage decided to offer the Axis with an Accutrigger... That afternoon they introduced Axis II. The Axis II has an Accutrigger.

It's nothing mysterious or marketting hype. It's simply a label.

Axis models come from factory with standard trigger. Axis II comes from factory with Accutrigger. In all other respects, they are the same rifle.

Not everyone at Boyds know this, but Boyds makes stocks for the Axis AND Axis II. If someone at Boyds says otherwise, it is only because they dont know that the AXIS AND AXIS II are IDENTICAL on EVERY RESPECT EXCEPT THE TRIGGER and the choice of trigger for the Axis does NOT change the stock design or inletting or anything else for the Axis.

When shopping for aftermarket stocks for the AXIS II, simply IGNORE the "II" in "Axis II".

chewy1010
02-14-2018, 10:01 AM
With that being said, and not to highjack the thread, but foxx you may know as well as anybody. The aluminum trigger housing on the Axis II is different than the one on the Axis. At least it appears to be. Not dimensionally external, but it is different. I bought an accutrigger group the other day based on the gunsmithing article on this website and I got to thinking. Instead of grinding the trigger down, why not get the correct trigger housing? The accutrigger I bought had the trigger spring not lining up with the pocket in the housing and there is no hole in the pocket for the little “tittie’ that the accutrigger spring has on it. Two reasons I decided to just try and buy the housing. That and the sear spring from the article is different. As you know the Axis has an external type spring on the aluminum housing. The sear I bought had no provision to hold that spring onto it. If I could get a part number for the aluminum Axis II trigger housing that would be great! Once again John, sorry to highjack. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

foxx
02-14-2018, 10:58 AM
^^^I am not following everything you're saying, Chewy.

Accutriggers may need to be altered a bit to fit the trigger housing. They have "bumps" on either side that need to be ground down a bit so they fit the housing. No big deal. MAYBE Axis II trigger housings have clearance for these "bumps", or the triggers are made without the "bumps", IDK. Either way, it really does not matter. The "bumps" serve no purpose. If there are differences with the Axis and Axis II trigger housing to accommodate a tag on the spring and bumps on the Accutrigger's sides, I am not aware of them, but they do not affect the stock.

I have successfully installed Accutriggers taken from Model 10/110's onto Axis models MANY times successfully. I have not bothered to change the sear on any of them, perhaps I should, (so as to avoid damaging the sear with multiple strikes against the Accutriger safety blade) but it's not a big deal if it's not abused. Similarly, the Accutrigger's spring has a tab on the top, but it is not absolutely necessary that it be used and inserted into a hole for retention. The tab can be removed with no ill effects on performance.

When I say the ONLY difference between Axis and Axis II is the Axis II has the Accutrigger, all other parts are the same, I mean all the parts associated with the Accutrigger are also different, but the differences are small and have no effect on any other parts not associated with the trigger.

In any event, the AXIS and AXIS II use the SAME stocks. (and actions and barrels and trigger guards and action screws, etc. )

chewy1010
02-14-2018, 01:25 PM
I get you foxx and I know I can put the accutrigger I bought in my Axis and probably be alright. I had my Axis and Axis II apart sitting side by side and was looking to install the accutrigger I bought into the Axis. Granted I knew I’d probably need to grind the sides down a bit, no big deal. But the more I looked I noticed the trigger return spring on the accutrigger isn’t parallel with the pocket on the trigger housing of the Axis. The spring would be sitting at an angle. So I got to thinking, why don’t I just buy an aluminum trigger housing for an Axis II and be done with it? Seemed simple enough. No grinding, custom fitting or anything like that. The sear I bought to match the Hunter model accutrigger has no provision for the external spring found on the aluminum trigger housing on either my Axis or Axis II so it’s worthless to me at this point. I can make the accutrigger work. I was just going to try and buy the correct aluminum housing and do it correctly.

foxx
02-14-2018, 02:59 PM
I think you have the wrong sear, Chewy. Model 10/110 sears are quite diferent from Axis sears. All axis sears should have a tab for the sear spring. 10/110's do not.

chewy1010
02-14-2018, 03:36 PM
It’s definitely the wrong sear. That’s what I was saying earlier. I was wondering if anybody could compile a list or had a list of part numbers for the aluminum Axis II accutriggers. When I bought the accutrigger by the part number based off the other list I didn’t really care about the housing and wasn’t sure rather I needed to buy the searcas well or not. I wasn’t very well versed in the differences between the models. I was and still can grind it to fit. But seeing as how it was so simple to buy from Savage I wish I was able to buy the correct housing and all. I wouldn’t even know where to begin to look for part numbers. Every time I try to look them up on Savages site it shows it’s down.

foxx
02-14-2018, 08:35 PM
^^^^THat other list was compiled a while back when Savage posted schematics and parts lists online for every rifle in current production. All anyone needed was a s/n from a rifle of that particular model. If we you did not have a s/n for a specific rifle (maybe you were just researching or wanting a part for a different rifle than what you have) all you had to do was post a request here and someone with that model would send you their s/n for reference. It was a great system, great customer service. Unfortunately, Savage has changed in that regard, and now it is very difficult to get this information, particularly if you are not an FFL holder. :(

Older schematics and part numbers can be found at Numrich. THey may have more recent models avail there as well.

chewy1010
02-14-2018, 08:59 PM
I’m finding that out. Even if you are an FFL holder it’s difficult. Let’s say theoretically I accidentally dropped my Axis II while I had it out of the stock and broke an ear off the trigger housing. Where would a person go to find that part? Does Savage now require you to send the rifle back? How would a gunsmith and FFL holder fix it? It’s crazy! If they’re that worried about people buying Axis and making them an Axis II then they should not make it cost effective or either don’t sell the plain Axis.

foxx
02-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Savage will sell the parts necessary to repair the Axis II to an FFL (as in your example). He would have to call customer service and provide the s/n... they would then look up the part numbers and sell them to the FFL.

However, their LEGAL department dictates they not sell certain parts to non-FFL's due to perceived liability-exposure risks. I personally disagree with their policy and reasoning. But that's their policy. A persona can always ask an FFL to order parts for them and then buy whatever is needed from the dealer. The auto industry tends to have similar policies and business models. Why they no longer provide the information (schematics) is beyond me.

chewy1010
02-14-2018, 09:54 PM
And there lies the frustrating part. No schematic i.e. no part number. Thanks foxx. Good conversation. I enjoyed it.

John Knoper
03-06-2018, 10:59 PM
I'm happy to report that my AT-One stock fits my Axis 2 very well. https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/28236187_1636113356471801_1049783480_n.png?oh=8f43 1799beb60cedea022482c8f8102d&oe=5AA19490

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/28458977_1642943632455440_1486546350_n.png?oh=dc7a e877ab9be93956ba5c57342c4754&oe=5AAA4296

protaxidermist
03-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Great looking gun. I was talking to Savage about my Walmart HB Axis. I asked her about a magizine which costs $56. In the conversation she told me that Boyds and another company makes stocks for Savage. So Boyds are full of it. The customer service at Boyds is the worst! Dont waste your time trying to call them and if you email you may get a reply and may not.

protaxidermist
03-06-2018, 11:52 PM

Evlshnngns
03-07-2018, 02:04 AM
That is the nicest at-one I have seen. Nice choice on color.