PDA

View Full Version : Grease or oil for bolt lubrication?

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
02-25-2018, 01:08 PM
...not to mention the EP additive may attack your brass

NOOTKA NICK
02-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Have had a tube of HOPPE'S GUN GREASE for years. the STUFF THAT SMELLS like gun grease........little bit on thumb and index finger.... rub on.
In below zero weather in northern British Columbia, I make sure bolt is completely dry / oil free.
sewing machine oil for sewing machines
2 stroke oil for 2 stroke motors
4 stroke engine oil in my trucks

BRAND NAME GUN OIL /GREASE for my guns..........

Pvt. Joker
02-26-2018, 04:55 PM
here is a link for bolt cleaning and lubricating

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/bolt-maintenance-methods-materials/

Thanks, Good stuff.

As far as the oil vs. grease on the bolts, I use Mobil 1 grease on my M1s, M14s and bolts on the bolt guns. All rails / channels get greased along with moving parts of the bolts EXCEPT the firing pin and extractors, they get CLP or LSA whichever is handy in my shop. I don't use the gun scrubber or any of that stuff I use brake cleaner on the bolts and reloading dies. I use Sweets 7.62 and Hoppes #9 in the barrels then clean out with 90% alcohol then oil when putaway.
Oh yeah, I use Maxima Castor 2 stroke oil in my chain saw, I use to use it in my old race bikes (MAICOs) back in the 1970s and 2000s.

JOKER

NOOTKA NICK
02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
:eagerness: MAICOS , Have not heard of them in well over 40 years......:cool:
my little brother ran a BSA ''VICTOR'' Single and a Greeves...... I've always had road bikes....... fell off too much in scrambling / motorcross.
we oiled them up with whatever we could scrounge up.... N N

Deadshot2
03-09-2018, 09:18 PM
, I use to use it in my old race bikes (MAICOs) back in the 1970s and 2000s.

JOKER

Made them smell rather unique too. When I was young and used to ride enduro's, I could always tell when I was about to pass a 2-stroke. I rode a Ducatti RT 500 with Desmo engine. Sounded like the crankcase and valve cover was filled with loose nuts and bolts but it sure was fast. :) :)

NOOTKA NICK
03-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Made them smell rather unique too. When I was young and used to ride enduro's, I could always tell when I was about to pass a 2-stroke. I rode a Ducatti RT 500 with Desmo engine. Sounded like the crankcase and valve cover was filled with loose nuts and bolts but it sure was fast. :) :)
Good post, DEADSHOT2, Enduros, when folks ''rode'' their bikes and not ''fly them'' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hamiltonkiler
03-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Is it weird I love bow string wax? Clog holes. Wipe bolt face. Bed with it.. water proof scope knobs.. with bow string wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
03-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Chapstik also. You can even size your brass with it. Quite well too.

charlie b
03-06-2019, 11:24 PM
LOL

AN OIL THREAD! :)

FWIW I use STP on bolts, wipe off most of it. Usually ATF in bore (I clean with Ed's Red).

Sled
03-07-2019, 12:30 PM
My entire life growing up shooting, including several decades in Law Enforcement, I had never heard of using grease on a firearm. I always used Hoppes to clean, then their oil, or Rem Oil, to lubricate. When I got on the PD, it was all pretty much Breakfree CLP. I just really heard about "grease" a year or so ago, and have been trying out Breakthrough Clean Battleborn grease (I can clean and lube my guns with this inside the house without the wife complaining about the smell) , with the adage "if it slides, grease, if it rotates, oil. I know the grease stays on my slide rails on my pistols better than oil used to, but bottom line is, I don't think it makes a bit of difference other than that. As long as you have one or the other, you're good.

Fotheringill
03-07-2019, 01:06 PM
I put a dab of grease on the bolt cam/cocking piece and oil on everything else.

What he said.

JeepsAndGuns
03-07-2019, 01:22 PM
I have actually switched from oil to the hornady one shot dry lube. I still use a dab of grease on the cam pin.
https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-9990-Shot-Cleaner-DynaGlide/dp/B000LC9YM2

efm77
03-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Everyone has their opinions experiences with this topic and their preferences. Mine falls more in to the grease and the use of dry lubricant camp. Over the 25+ years I've been shooting/cleaning firearms, I've bounced back and forth a few times between grease and oil. The past 8-10 years I've shifted more back to grease and now also use dry lubricants too (Hornady One Shot mostly). I tried to use oil only for the longest time due to a lot of conventional wisdom that says it's best and easiest to clean etc. My own experience tells me it's not best though. Oil tends to migrate from where it's supposed to be in to places where it's not supposed to be and that's one of my biggest gripes with it. Also, oils don't provide enough lubrication in high pressure areas (where locking lugs cam in to their recesses, cocking cams, extraction cams) due to the fact they rub/run off too easily. Again, just my opinion, but grease in these areas stays in place. My regiment now is that very small areas, triggers, firing pins, etc, get dry lubricant. I like the Hornady One Shot because it sprays on as a liquid and then evaporates, leaving a dry lubricant film. I like this because it can be sprayed liberally to get in to hinges, pins, etc and then you just wait for it to dry and/or wipe off the excess. Bolt bodies, locking lugs, cams, slide rails, etc, get a light coat of grease and it doesn't run off.