PDA

View Full Version : Boyd’s for my Axis

Pages : 1 [2] 3

GunnyJC
01-04-2018, 06:45 PM
I watched a couple of disgruntled YouTube guys mainly complaining about the plastic parts that now come with the Boyd’s stocks. It appears and even states they sell a stainless metal trigger guard on their accessories page and it looked like they had a black one as well but didn’t state rather it was plastic or metal. I would of course prefer the metal. What really concerned me was the plastic mag catch button is now plastic , but seems to be available from an outfit called V 3 Precision. So I guess one of those would be in order too? I’d much rather this thing be a simple drop in affair without a lot of extra parts to buy but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. If anyone knows rather Boyd’s offer these pieces in metal as an upgrade I’d sure like to know it. I may try my hand at pillar bedding while I’m at it and may even attempt a glass bed job. Doesn’t look like too hard a job to me. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Otherwise thanks for all the help and wish me luck! Thanks, Matt

Boyds site says "***Stainless Steel Metal trigger guards are also available: PN 100662.***" I couldn't find anything on the mag button.

GunnyJC
01-04-2018, 08:07 PM
I found another selling a similar product for less.

https://grimstoddesh.wordpress.com/contact/
Thanks for the link. I just sent them a contact request.

ebgb68
01-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the link. I just sent them a contact request.

Do you need the bevel for the mag catch ? I had some made up and could save some money leaving out that cut ?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aTkAAOSwkWNZng8E/s-l1600.jpg

chewy1010
01-05-2018, 12:37 AM
It looks like the one in the link is just a little shorter than the one you had made up and doesn't need the bevel. I don't have first hand experience personally as I haven't even bought the stock yet!

GunnyJC
01-05-2018, 01:44 AM
Do you need the bevel for the mag catch ? I had some made up and could save some money leaving out that cut ?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aTkAAOSwkWNZng8E/s-l1600.jpg

I'm sorry but, I don't understand the question. What's do you mean by bevel? Are you referring to the angled cut on the face where the magazine clip contacts the catch? If so, why is it beveled in the first place if it's not needed. Also, I ordered a Heritage laminate stock from Boyds. Is there any difference in the catch as opposed to wood? Please bear with me. I have zero gunsmithing experience.

Want2BS8ed
01-05-2018, 02:32 AM
Caveat Emptor

YMMV

Have there been issues? I have used two of the V3 Precision pieces (one in a Boyd's Varminter and the other in an Axis wood stock made by Boyd's). Both dropped in place and I thought were well done replacements.

M

ltcg
01-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Have there been issues? I have used two of the V3 Precision pieces (one in a Boyd's Varminter and the other in an Axis wood stock made by Boyd's). Both dropped in place and I thought were well done replacements.

MYeah, paid for mine Nov. 13. Still nothing. Left two requests via the contact page, and one voicemail. I've received no replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

chewy1010
01-05-2018, 07:31 AM
So, is the dude in the link V3 Precision or is this link someone else?

chewy1010
01-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Check that. I believe they're a different bunch. V3 Precision is a stones throw from me in Leander Texas. I could literally drive over there and pick up my pieces. And if I had been waiting since November believe me that would have already happened!

penna shooter
01-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Great pixs...

GunnyJC
01-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah, paid for mine Nov. 13. Still nothing. Left two requests via the contact page, and one voicemail. I've received no replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Not good at all. I just ordered a magazine catch from the place Mb1500 posted above. I have communicated with them and they assure me the part will get out most ricky tick. Gotta find pillars though. That will definitely be a gunsmith required event for me.

chewy1010
01-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Hey Gunny, that dude in the link had some really nice looking pillars. Textured really well. You might want to get back with him right quick and try to get them in on your order. They were only $5 when ordered with the clip!

ebgb68
01-05-2018, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry but, I don't understand the question. What's do you mean by bevel? Are you referring to the angled cut on the face where the magazine clip contacts the catch? If so, why is it beveled in the first place if it's not needed. Also, I ordered a Heritage laminate stock from Boyds. Is there any difference in the catch as opposed to wood? Please bear with me. I have zero gunsmithing experience.
The boyds plastic catch has the bevel the ones I had made have the bevel . That is an extra machining process that costs extra. I had a hundred made and about to order more so looking to cut some cost if possible.

chewy1010
01-05-2018, 07:12 PM
ebgb68,
Do you sell yours on a site somewhere? I wouldn’t mind picking one up with the bevel if the price is comparable to the others.

GunnyJC
01-05-2018, 07:24 PM
The boyds plastic catch has the bevel the ones I had made have the bevel . That is an extra machining process that costs extra. I had a hundred made and about to order more so looking to cut some cost if possible.
I already ordered one from a guy named Ben at the site listed earlier. Now I'm wondering if his are beveled or not.

GunnyJC
01-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Hey Gunny, that dude in the link had some really nice looking pillars. Textured really well. You might want to get back with him right quick and try to get them in on your order. They were only $5 when ordered with the clip!

I should have been paying closer attention. He won't be available for a week or so. I'll hit him up when he returns. Thanks. Good looking out.

ebgb68
01-05-2018, 11:42 PM
ebgb68,
Do you sell yours on a site somewhere? I wouldn’t mind picking one up with the bevel if the price is comparable to the others.
I need to look at the rules here for selling don'r want to get into trouble . I've sold a few on Ebay but not at this time.
The front pillar machined with the catch works well but that takes more stock . https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdl8ZmrlDBC/?taken-by=ebgb68The center insert is the factory Boyds plastic catch.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lu6ez8.jpg

chewy1010
01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
I definitely don’t want to do anything against site rules. Especially being a new member here. But I’m definitely interested. Even more so if they’re colored black already. If you can figure out anything feel free to PM me. I just as soon not jack with eBay. One suggestion, it would be nice if there was a little knurling or texture on that front pillar already.

chewy1010
01-06-2018, 12:53 PM
I believe you got a good looking product there. You should contact Boyd’s. No joke.

GunnyJC
01-06-2018, 01:31 PM
I definitely don’t want to do anything against site rules. Especially being a new member here. But I’m definitely interested. Even more so if they’re colored black already. If you can figure out anything feel free to PM me. I just as soon not jack with eBay. One suggestion, it would be nice if there was a little knurling or texture on that front pillar already.

I know the pillars are supposed to be epoxied in place when pillar bedding. Hence the need for knurling or texture on the bedding pillars. Are the catches supposed to be epoxied in place too? I haven't seen anyone talk about doing that yet.