PDA

View Full Version : Vortex 3-9 BDC and rings/bases.

1983Weatherby
01-03-2018, 01:15 AM
I have a vortex scope and I can't seem to get my eye relief right. I tore a rotator cuff a year ago and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it now or not.... but basically I have to have my cheek on the most forward position of the cheek weld to see into the scope clearly without a big black ring or a fuzzy reticle at 9 power. I have tried an EGW rail base and Burris xtr rings in medium, I have tried Warne rings in low, I have tried lueopld base with their medium rings... same issue.

I then tried moving this scope to my ruger 6.5 creedmoor with the heavy barrel and factory rail... same thing. I can't get the scope far enough back. IE: I need the scope to come closer to my face for a natural cheek weld. Otherwise I feel I am fighting the rifle to lean way forward and my shoulder is getting jammed real hard with the butt of the stock. When I add layers on for hunting it just makes the issue worse. I barely was able to get my kill this season due to not being able to see through the scope and I am seriously debating on iron sights if I can't figure this out.

Here is how I have the scope mounted currently to my savage. Any ideas or suggestions?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180103/185a9f64082d03d70af9bc628e628cd7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1983Weatherby
01-03-2018, 01:18 AM
I was thinking of going with high rings to move the scope back further... My brother in law can't believe high rings with a 40mm objective. But notice how close the scope is to the barrel already? It was almost touching on my ruger, maybe 2 pieces of paper width under it...

1983Weatherby
01-03-2018, 02:16 AM
This used to work GREAT. I never had any issues a few years ago. I was trying to think what changed... I tore my rotator cuff. I know for a fact that I can't reach back as far as I used to. I wont get into details, but if you have had a rotator cuff tear you know what I mean... Im wondering if maybe my shoulder isn't as plyable and thus pushing the rifle further away from me in essence and now I need to either A) cut the stock down or B)get different rings that allow me to bring the rifle back about 2 more inches. I am going to take the rifle in tomorrow and see what the shop thinks and go from there since no one here seems to have any suggestions.

Thanks anyhow.

NicfromAlabama
01-03-2018, 03:05 AM
Like you have suggested, you can always go with higher rings to get the scope back closer to your eye. If that fix causes the scope to sit too high with your normal cheek weld, you could then put a cheekpad on the stock correct that.

yobuck
01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Assuming you've tried moving the scope forward and back, and have also tried raising and lowering by changing ring hgt, id personally be removing the flip up cover, and be trying a rubber eyecup to put your eye socket against.
You need to be finding the proper eye relief for (you) with that scope.
Rubber chair leg bottoms or crutch bottoms, can be found in Home Depot in various sizes. Cut the bottom out and slide it over the scope tube. Those can also help with scope cuts known as magnum eyebrow scars.
We hunt by using large optics mounted on tripods, which as a rule are 2 spotting scopes in an adjustable bracket.
Depending upon distance, and various conditions, we change the eyepiece power in the optics to best suit.
Each different eyepiece requires a slightly different approach to using it which can vary from person to person.
I like to glass with my eyecups right against the eyepiece, so that I can steer the glasses with my face while my hands are in my pockets.
On some eyepieces in order to do that, I use the rubber crutch bottoms adjusted to suit.

1983Weatherby
01-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks, but after watching a few videos from vortex I am going to try high rings first as that's what they are using on their rifles on their videos.

https://youtu.be/bjAuOFe7HHU

1983Weatherby
01-03-2018, 04:14 PM
High rings did the trick. I did have to raise the comb up due to my cheek weld not being perfect, but that was easily fixed by using some foam and then some medical wrap type tape that only adheres to itself. I then covered it with a bullet holder on the rifle stock. It's absolutely perfect now.