PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 12 VLP

DaveA009
01-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Greetings and Salutations,
I have zero experience with Savage products. My knowledge has recently been acquired by reading reviews. I am strongly considering the purchase of a new Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile rifle chambered in the .243 Winchester cartridge. This rifle will be my prairie dog rifle. Thus, I am trying to sort out various ideas and details about this rifle:
What is the meaning of the phrase “Low Profile”?
Does the rifle use two or three screws to hold action and stock together?
Can this rifle be bought new from the factory as a single shot, without a magazine cutout on the underside of the action, thus, increasing the rigidity of the action?
Can this new rifle be equipped at the factory with the Target AccuTrigger which is adjustable between 6 ounces and 2.5 pounds? Would this idea be desirable?
Is there a meaning or an idea attached to the phrase “Heavy Barrel” that I may not be aware of?
Last Question:
Go to “savagearms.com (http://savagearms.com)".
Click on “Firearms” (Top, Left of screen)
Click on “Centerfire Rifles”.
Click on PRIMARY PURPOSE”
Click on “Varmint Hunting”.
Click on “CALIBER”
Click on “243 WIN”.
Click on “12 Varmint Low Profile”.
Scroll down to “PRODUCT VIDEOS”.
Click Three Times on the Right Pointing Arrow.
(Arrow Located on right side and)
(midway between top and bottom)
The name of the video is “Factory Blueprinted Actions”
Even though this video will not play,
Is the action of this rifle actually Factory Blueprinted?
Previously, I did e-mail these questions to Savage and I did not receive any answers. I called and was told that there is only one employee answering e-mails. “Be patient” I was told.
Dave

BB68
01-02-2018, 11:58 PM
IDK what low profile means. 2 screw, no on solid bottom action, it does have the 2.5-6 lbs trigger, heavy barrel is just typical heavy varmint taper.

Tackdriver
01-03-2018, 12:31 AM
You can watch the video straight from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWKSjLyLkrs

From the video, it sure seems that they are really blueprinting the actions. But they only are doing it on select rifles, and don't say which ones.

Zero333
01-03-2018, 02:41 AM
The 12 Varmint LP has a detachable magazine, open top 2 screw action, wood stock.

The 12 LRP has a detachable magazine, closed top right port 2 screw action, HS precision stock.

The 12 LRPV Left Port is a Single Shot, closed action left port 3 screw action synthetic stock.

---------------------------------------------

Those are your options.

I think of the bunch the 12 LRP is most useful..unless you don't mind the left port action on the 12 LRPV Left Port and that more traditional stock profile.

But the 12 VLP is no slouch.

I know the 12 LRP and LRPV have the red target accutrigger that you're after, but I have no experience with the 12 VLP so I don't know which trigger it has... Hopefully someone will chime in about the 12 VLP's trigger type.

zach_
01-03-2018, 08:25 AM
I called the custom shop support number recently. The person I spoke with was typing q's in, to get my annswers. I was told to call back to speak to a tech this week.
I am interested in a similar rifle in 223. They can build anything you want, for a price. The "target trigger" is available only with specific actions as specified as far as the support person knew. This person admitted they could be wrong.
I have an LRP with the target trigger. It is great.

J.Baker
01-03-2018, 09:20 AM
Greetings and Salutations,
I have zero experience with Savage products. My knowledge has recently been acquired by reading reviews. I am strongly considering the purchase of a new Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile rifle chambered in the .243 Winchester cartridge. This rifle will be my prairie dog rifle. Thus, I am trying to sort out various ideas and details about this rifle:
What is the meaning of the phrase “Low Profile”?
Does the rifle use two or three screws to hold action and stock together?
Can this rifle be bought new from the factory as a single shot, without a magazine cutout on the underside of the action, thus, increasing the rigidity of the action?
Can this new rifle be equipped at the factory with the Target AccuTrigger which is adjustable between 6 ounces and 2.5 pounds? Would this idea be desirable?
Is there a meaning or an idea attached to the phrase “Heavy Barrel” that I may not be aware of?
Last Question:
Go to “savagearms.com (http://savagearms.com)".
Click on “Firearms” (Top, Left of screen)
Click on “Centerfire Rifles”.
Click on PRIMARY PURPOSE”
Click on “Varmint Hunting”.
Click on “CALIBER”
Click on “243 WIN”.
Click on “12 Varmint Low Profile”.
Scroll down to “PRODUCT VIDEOS”.
Click Three Times on the Right Pointing Arrow.
(Arrow Located on right side and)
(midway between top and bottom)
The name of the video is “Factory Blueprinted Actions”
Even though this video will not play,
Is the action of this rifle actually Factory Blueprinted?
Previously, I did e-mail these questions to Savage and I did not receive any answers. I called and was told that there is only one employee answering e-mails. “Be patient” I was told.
Dave

Well that's quite a laundry list of question you have there.

1. Low Profile refers to the stock design, meaning the distance between the centerline of the bore of the barrel and the bottom edge of the forearm is shorter. If you compare it to the forearm on the Model 12 BVSS the difference is clear.

2. Two screws which is all that is needed. The third screw offered on some of the Target models is little more than a marketing gimmick.

3. It used to be offered in a single-shot version (12 VLP-S), but it was discontinued a few years ago as anyone wanting a single-shot action opts for the Target Action. As for added rigidity, an action only needs to be so rigid and any additional rigidity offers no benefit. Unless you're planning to screw on a 40" bull barrel a standard repeater action is sufficiently rigid and adding a 1-piece scope rail will increase the rigidity by bridging the loading port.

4. The Target AccuTrigger is only offered on Target Actions and models.

Note: You could special order a 12 VLP with the single-short Target Action and Target AccuTrigger through the custom shop, but doing so will just cost you more and result in a 3-4 month wait to get it.

5. Heavy barrel is just that - a heavier contour (0.820" at the muzzle). Sporter barrels by comparison are 0.560" at the muzzle, and bull barrels are 1" at the muzzle. Larger diameter = more rigid, but also ads a lot of weight.

6. The factory blueprinted action is just more marketing mumbo-jumbo by Savage. Aside from a surface ground recoil lug and their poorly machinging the locking lugs on the bolt head there's no difference between a blueprinted and non-blueprinted Savage action and no definitive difference in accuracy down range. They'll tell you there is in their rhetoric, but there's really not. Adjusting the seating depth in your handloads will have more impact on accuracy than the factory blueprinting will.

If you want a single-shot action and the Target AccuTrigger I would suggest you look at the Model 12 LRPV Left-Port (http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRPVLEFTPORT), or possibly the Model 12 Long Range Precision (http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP) (though the latter is a repeater). Both use the target action (gets you the mythical added rigidity you want), both come with a high quality H-S Precision fiberglass stock with aluminum bedding block, and both are offered in .243 Win. Nothing wrong with the Model 12 VLP (still a favorite of mine), but those two are more in line with what you seem to be looking for.

That's my 2-cents worth, take it for what it's worth.

J.Baker
01-03-2018, 09:26 AM
They can build anything you want, for a price.

Not necessarily. They can build you anything you want, for a price - SO LONG AS it consists of off-the-shelf standard production parts. Effie Sullivan is the gal you want to talk to as she's in charge of the Special Order Dept. Her direct # is 413-642-4145.

65Whelen
01-07-2018, 07:00 PM
One other side note, the 12 VLP has a standard(small) shank barrel were as the 12 LRP has a large shank barrel. Supposedly, making the 12 LRP more rigid and more accurate.

65Whelen
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
One other side note, the 12 VLP has a standard(small) shank barrel were as the 12 LRP has a large shank barrel. Supposedly, making the 12 LRP more rigid and more accurate.

I've got a 12 VLP for sale, very nice rifle, interested? Check the classifieds.