PDA

View Full Version : Savage not supporting parts for a stagger feed!

flowj
01-02-2018, 09:42 PM
After being on hold for 20 minutes on the second call, Savage informed me they no longer make or supply stagger feed mag parts. What are my options? Wanting to install a large shank .260 barrel on a stagger feed WSM BVSS action and stock. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

gbflyer
01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
I think this is how it goes:

Get a .308 centerfeed detachable mag, take the base off and put it in your blind mag stock. If you want a detachable mag, get CDI or PTG bottom metal and use the AICS pattern mags.

Probably more combinations available too, I think you might search around on this site and find out more.

moecarama
01-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Watch classifieds and place a ad in the "Want to Buy" section.

hereinaz
01-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Like above, take mag box and follower out from a centerfeed. Then shim it with cardboard, and tack with hot glue in place. Remove cardboard, check fitment, and run hot glue along top angles of magazine to fit permanently. But, don't run so much down in that you can't take it out easily later. I did it and it has held fine.

The staggerfeed opening in the stock is larger than a centerfeed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

celltech
01-03-2018, 10:24 AM
and run hot glue along top angles of magazine to fit permanently. But, don't run so much down in that you can't take it out easily later.

I used epoxy putty to hold a centerfeed mag in a 12FV replacement stock because I hate those metal L brackets. But ONLY put it in the far corners...if anything gets near the sides of the feed lips they will not open that little bitty bit necessary to load the round. And also be aware of the height so the bolt just skims over the lips and grabs the round.

Good luck!

flowj
01-03-2018, 06:04 PM
I did post WTB with no results. I guess I'll take some measurements off one of my centerfeeds and try to do a mock up to make it work. Might just but a new stock and be done with it. Thanks

foxx
01-03-2018, 06:46 PM
New stock won't help. That action will always need a stock for stagger feed action due to the screw spacing. Having said that, you can still do what was suggested above and jerry-rig a center feed mag for the stagger feed stock. I have done it a number of times. In my case, I also did some machining of the underside of the action, but it was not difficult.

flowj
01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Does anyone make bottom metal to make a stagger feed stock and action take a removable mag? How extensive is the action machining? I have a Bridgeport milling machine. I have about decided to keep the 300 wsm bvss like it is and put the 260 barrel on my 6 BR LRPV. I like the 6.5 stuff. My 6.5x284 BVSS shoot great but I have already noticed some throat errosion at less than 100 rds. I bought the 260 barrel here on this site thinking I'd put something together that wasn't so hard on a barrels. I have plenty of 260 stuff already because I've been shooting an AR10 in 260 for a while. I know I could back off the loads on the 284 but I believe in loading the wagon if it was made to haul. Maybe it would make more sense to look into a Creedmore, that seems to be the new rave lately. It's really hard to believe that Savage cannot supply a mag for a gun they made thousands of less than 10 years ago. That's not very good customer support.

dfrosch
01-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Rather than mill on a LRPV action, you could probably trade it for a repeater plus cash.

Or you could just shoot it single shot.

flowj
01-03-2018, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't machine the LRPV action. I was referring to the comment that foxx made about having to do some machining on the bottom of the staggerfeed action to put a centerfeed mag in it

rbp75503
01-03-2018, 11:49 PM
Does anyone make bottom metal to make a stagger feed stock and action take a removable mag? How extensive is the action machining? I have a Bridgeport milling machine. I have about decided to keep the 300 wsm bvss like it is and put the 260 barrel on my 6 BR LRPV. I like the 6.5 stuff. My 6.5x284 BVSS shoot great but I have already noticed some throat errosion at less than 100 rds. I bought the 260 barrel here on this site thinking I'd put something together that wasn't so hard on a barrels. I have plenty of 260 stuff already because I've been shooting an AR10 in 260 for a while. I know I could back off the loads on the 284 but I believe in loading the wagon if it was made to haul. Maybe it would make more sense to look into a Creedmore, that seems to be the new rave lately. It's really hard to believe that Savage cannot supply a mag for a gun they made thousands of less than 10 years ago. That's not very good customer support.

Contact CDI precision Gunworks. They should be able to set you up with a detachable Aisc type mag for your stock and action. For the cost of the bottom metal they will inlet your stock and action if you send them the stock and action with bolt. Make sure to send the bolt so that they can test feeding of the mags.

hereinaz
01-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Machining would be no more than opening the loading port a little more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

flowj
01-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

flowj
01-06-2018, 10:51 PM
Solved the stagger feed problem. Found a LRP todayat a LHS with a custom 308 barrell installed and the original 260 factory barrel. Looks like I'll have that 300 WSM BVSS for sell shortly.

1953greg
01-08-2018, 10:55 PM
if u sell it you wil wish u hadnt!!!!!

flowj
01-08-2018, 11:09 PM
Just posted it for sale. There is only so much room in the safe. I'm about to believe there should be an 11th commandment. Thou shall not covet to many firearms. I'm a sick, sick man!