PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas bullet puller, where to get elastic bands?

Texas10
01-02-2018, 01:12 PM
I've got a Cabelas inertial bullet puller, the plastic hammer style, and the elastic bands that hold the various inserts together have rotted. Anyone know where to get replacements?

Tac Beard
01-02-2018, 01:32 PM
If it’s like the inertial pullers I’ve seen, you can just use the shell holders you use in your press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haiku_Rodney
01-02-2018, 02:19 PM
I use a different style of bullet puller, however, if my memory serves me correctly, you can use an "O" ring. I don't know the correct size, but they should be available at a hardware store.

darkker
01-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Anyone know where to get replacements?

The hardware store, ask them where they keep O-Rings.

Stumpkiller
01-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Yep. Like at Lowes where they have the drawers full of odd hardware. Love those.

In the mean time - use your shell holder from the press. Mine fit my old (RCBS?) Kenetic puller.

NicfromAlabama
01-02-2018, 10:59 PM
When I first started loading, I bought some generic kinetic bullet puller. Online reviews said they all arrived with rotten o-rings. Sure enough, mine did too. I looked around the house and just happened to have a pack of o-rings I bought from Lowe's for a plumbing issue. I don't think they worked for what I originally intended. But, they fit around the shell holder just fine. The o-ring I used may have been a bit smaller diameter than the original one on the puller, but they have stretch. For reference, mine was a #35 O-ring by Danco. Part # 96749. 11/16" O.D. X 9/16" ID X 1/16" Bring your holder, and you should be able to match it up at the hardware store.

What I really wanted to say......if you don't have one, look at purchasing the RCBS collett puller that works off your reloading press. I am sure some situations will still require a kinetic puller, but I will never use anything but the RCBS collet puller from now on. Sure, it is more expensive up front, but totally worth it in the long run. I actually enjoy using it.

Texas10
01-03-2018, 01:56 AM
With all the votes tabulated, it looks like the O-ring is the clear winner. I was worried about elasticity of the o-ring vs the rubber bands originally supplied, but it sounds like I was worried about nothing.

Thanks for setting me straight, guys.

Happy New Year!

jpx2rk
01-03-2018, 08:17 AM
I have a FA inertia puller and mine came with a 3 pc collet held together with a "O" ring, even had some extra O rings in the packaging. Never would have thought of using a press shell holder but thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that and see if it works. The O ring & collet work good but sometimes are a PITB to get the cartridge inserted or removed at times.

PaddyD
01-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Just take the collets to your nearest auto parts store and ask for a couple of o rings to fit them. They should be able to fix you up in a couple of minutes.