PDA

View Full Version : 300 WSM: small shank vs large shank question

redwood13
01-01-2018, 09:21 PM
I've read much debate here and elsewhere on this subject. I'm unclear about this. Isn't the overall thickness of steel around a WSM chamber no different between the two shanks? Sure, the large shank has thicker steel around the chamber, but isn't it being threaded into a thinner receiver? What IS different is that the threaded seam in a large shank barreled receiver is a little closer to the outside surface of the receiver. Not sure why this is considered to be stronger.

Cmgoff
01-02-2018, 12:16 AM
I've read much debate here and elsewhere on this subject. I'm unclear about this. Isn't the overall thickness of steel around a WSM chamber no different between the two shanks? Sure, the large shank has thicker steel around the chamber, but isn't it being threaded into a thinner receiver? What IS different is that the threaded seam in a large shank barreled receiver is a little closer to the outside surface of the receiver. Not sure why this is considered to be stronger.It's not a true comparison of strength but a comparison of stiffness. The added material around the chamber prevents the chamber from swelling during combustion.
High pressure wsm rounds in a small shank barrel can swell the chamber to the point the brass will get stuck in the chamber causing extraction issues.
The threaded interface between the barrel and action is not intended to react the hoop stress generated by the explosion, it is intended to react the axial force trying to pull the two apart and the bending moment due to the mass of the barrel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

redwood13
01-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Appreciate the clarification. Helps me choose my options for my next build. It may not include large a shank receiver since they seem harder to acquire.

hereinaz
01-02-2018, 07:57 PM
I saw a large shank 300 WSM listed in the complete rifles just the other day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cmgoff
01-02-2018, 10:17 PM
The large shank actions with the control feed are really tough to find. I looked for 5 months to find one for a fair price. I found one while on vacation at a closing gander mountain.

geargrinder
01-04-2018, 12:27 AM
Most all of the problems with a WSM in a small shank are simply internet talk. I've never actually heard of a single first person account of these problems actually happening.

I'm not saying they are false, I'm just pointing out that it is actually very rare to have any of those issues in a WSM in a small shank.

Newsshooter
01-04-2018, 08:17 PM
It's not a true comparison of strength but a comparison of stiffness. The added material around the chamber prevents the chamber from swelling during combustion.
High pressure wsm rounds in a small shank barrel can swell the chamber to the point the brass will get stuck in the chamber causing extraction issues.
The threaded interface between the barrel and action is not intended to react the hoop stress generated by the explosion, it is intended to react the axial force trying to pull the two apart and the bending moment due to the mass of the barrel.

You might want to check the dimensions of a small shank and large shank, it isn't much different, .065. Don't think it's enough do what you say it is doing, not that I believe that the small shank chamber is swelling during combustion. LRP actions are large shank, they're not that hard to find but you certainly limit pre-fit barrel choices.

hereinaz
01-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Do Remington and Winchester run their short mags in a shank that is similar to a large Shank?

foxx
01-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Savage observed issues with the WSM's in small shank config, so they opted to build them with large shanks. It solved the problem. It's not internet folk lore.

geargrinder
01-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Savage observed issues with the WSM's in small shank config, so they opted to build them with large shanks. It solved the problem. It's not internet folk lore.

They observed it in high pressure testing. Above even hot load scenarios.

I have never seen any first hand report of any of these types of failures.

I have several thousand rounds of WSM and RUM on my Savage actions. No issues.

gbflyer
01-05-2018, 12:21 AM
I've always questioned this myself, admittedly with no interest in a WSM.

geargrinder
01-05-2018, 12:25 AM
Do Remington and Winchester run their short mags in a shank that is similar to a large Shank?

Remington thread pitch is 1-1/16"x16 - Very close to Savage small shank

Winchester thread pitch is 1"x16 or 1-1/16"x28 - Smaller or similar to Savage small shank.

hereinaz
01-05-2018, 01:20 AM
Remington thread pitch is 1-1/16"x16 - Very close to Savage small shank

Winchester thread pitch is 1"x16 or 1-1/16"x28 - Smaller or similar to Savage small shank.I suppose part of the chamber has more supoort because of shoulder. Weakest link though. I was just curious. Thanks.