PDA

View Full Version : reloading axis hb 223 will not chamber any thing over 2.235

sentry53
12-30-2017, 01:39 PM
loaded up 20 55 grain hornady v max hornady #10 shows 2.250 but had to push them in to 2.235 to close bolt is this normal .

Deadshot2
12-30-2017, 02:44 PM
No personal experience but I've read numerous accounts of short throats in Savage barrels. Measure the "Headspace" on a fired case and if within a reasonable range of published headspace numbers then you may need to get the throat opened up some.

If a new rifle, contact Savage. If older (or you don't want to wait, have a gunsmith make sure the barrel is correctly headspaced and then have him open up the throat. Load up your favorite bullet combination at the length you want to shoot so he can use your cartridge for reference as he goes to work with his throating reamer.

Before doing anything see if some factory 55 gr Hornady cartridges will chamber OK. If so revisit your handloads to see if they are the problem.

sentry53
12-30-2017, 03:31 PM
I have some fiocchi fac loads with the hornady 53 grain v max at 2.240 the will not chamber either. I can just load lighter powder charges on my reloads which I have done to this point.and have very good groups well under an inch. its only a problem with factory loads with long for cal bullets.

celltech
12-30-2017, 09:15 PM
So yall got my curiosity peaked... I have some 69gr SMKs that measure out at 2.253 and my Axis .223 hardwood (long action) chambers them like butter. Then for grins I tried it in my Ruger American and loaded up just fine.

The only gun I have actually fired them in is my 12FV and of course no issue there...

gbflyer
12-31-2017, 03:11 PM
If the accuracy is within your expectations and you're ok with reloads tailored to fit I wouldn't mess with it. The throat will open up with more rounds down range. If you want to shoot the factory stuff now, then you'll need professional intervention. [emoji1]

prdatr
12-31-2017, 08:21 PM
If the accuracy is within your expectations and you're ok with reloads tailored to fit I wouldn't mess with it. The throat will open up with more rounds down range. If you want to shoot the factory stuff now, then you'll need professional intervention. [emoji1]

How many rounds would you expect to see down the tube before the throat "opens up", 500 1000?

Deadshot2
01-01-2018, 06:44 PM
How many ro unds would you expect to see down the tube before the throat "opens up", 500 1000?

Before I shot up 500-1000 rounds of ammo, and hoped the throat eroded enough to seat cartridges with longer bullets, I'd buy one of these and be money ahead.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/224529/ptg-uni-throater-hand-throating-reamer-22-centerfire-high-speed-steel

Load a cartridge with the bullet you want, use the tool to lengthen the throat (freebore) a slight amount, then check with the cartridge you specially loaded. When the bolt just closes on the test round, you're done.

I would load the cartridge with the bullet at maximum magazine length and set freebore to that length. If you then want to shoot with a "jump" just set your bullets back whatever amount you want. This tool will cost about the same as 500 rounds of factory ammo and about half the price of a pre-fit barrel so judge accordingly. FWIW, you may never see enough throat erosion to allow you to seat the bullets you want and by then the lands themselves may be so fire-cracked the barrel will be ready for replacement.

gbflyer
01-01-2018, 09:03 PM
How many rounds would you expect to see down the tube before the throat "opens up", 500 1000?

Hard to say. It's possible that the reamer left a rough throat and it will iron out with 100 rounds or less. If not and it's still an issue, then it would be time to move some metal.

That PTG tool would definitely do the job. Might check with 4D Rentals. If he has one that would certainly save a good wad of cash for more ammo!