PDA

View Full Version : Stocks for DBM?????

XGunsX
09-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi, new the forums here. Hope I am in the right place. I bought a Savage Model 10FCPXP (the "special edition" one at Dicks sporting goods) It has the DBM and I am looking for an aftermarket stock to throw on it. I am having trouble finding stocks for the Model 10 that accept the DBM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bushwack
09-17-2010, 07:28 AM
What's wrong with the HS Precision stock you have? Those things run like $350 from Jim at Northlanders.

XGunsX
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
The problem is its not an HS precision stock. Its not the same 10FCPXP as on the savage website. It has a tupperware stock. Like i said its the "DSG special edition"

XGunsX
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I would just like to know who makes stocks for the model 10 that accept a detachable mag

bushwack
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
You can get the HS Precision stock from Jim at Northland Shooters. I have a Choate Tactical stock on mine. Fred at SSS can likely inlet a blind magazine stock for you if you find one you like. There's also McMillian, Jim might be able to get you one of those too. Sorry, I wasn't familiar with DSG "Specials", I just looked up your model number on the Savage site & it showed the stock was the HS precision one. Good luck

XGunsX
09-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Yea it was hard to find any literature on that model. How do you like your Choate? I have read they are heavy and a little flimsy in the forend? I just looked at Jims post for savage stocks, Thanks for the direction. Hopefully I'll make up my mind soon and get some pictures up. This is my first savage, thanks for the help.

bushwack
09-19-2010, 02:02 AM
I like the Choate just fine, although I haven&#39;t shot it yet. It&#39;s a little heavier than the HS Precision stock, but hardly flimsy. The lightest part of the stock is in the butt section, where the plastic isn&#39;t quite 1/4" thick. It&#39;s a very stout piece of polymer<----sounds better than plastic. At around $200, I think it&#39;s a heck of a deal. My action locked up tight in the aluminum bedding block with the 1" barrel centered in the channel with room to spare. It has a forearm rail & they send you a fitting so you can run a bipod. There a two sling attachments on each side of the stock. What it breaks down to is how much money you want to invest in a stock. If I was doing any tactical long range shooting competition, I might have gone with a McMillian, but I&#39;m not. Just a fat old man who enjoys putting little holes in paper.

XGunsX
09-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I just want a nice gun that will shoot well for me. And I like the more "tactical look". Does your savage have the newer bolt release in front of the trigger guard or on top? I read on choates website (i think?) that the tactical stock would not fit with the bolt release in front of the trigger guard. Maybe I just looked at the wrong one, but there weren&#39;t to many options with the DBM

bushwack
09-20-2010, 02:03 AM
My bolt release is on the side of the receiver. I suppose it is sort of tacticool looking. I&#39;d hate to think about having to hump my rifle over terrain though.

BrettSass844
09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Any stock can have a inlet job done for a DBM. Fred at SSS will do it, they offer the acme DBM system. And Jeff at CDI Precision will also do it, he manufactures his own bottom metal that accepts AI mags. If you want a "tactical" look that&#39;s the system for you. Average price of a inlet job is 50 to 60 bucks. I have seen a couple Bell&Carlson medalist stocks that have been inleted to accept the CDI metal. They look great and from what I have heard Jeff is a stand up guy. Some people prefer the ACME system because the size of the mag release on CDI but I have also seen some people trim that down. Good luck!

XGunsX
09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I am kind of looking into trying to make my own hand laid fiberglass stock then inletting it myself. Still reading up on that. Would be a pretty neat project.

XGunsX
09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Well I have been snooping more and found some uninletted boyds stocks for $54. That might be the best.