PDA

View Full Version : Scope ring height?

Pages : 1 [2]

kcb38
03-13-2018, 09:21 PM
I put a PST 6-24X50 on my 10FCP with an EGW 0MOA rail and Vortex low rings and the bell just clears the rail (haven't cut it yet, but plan to). There's still lots of space between the bell and the barrel. More than I want, actually.

NicfromAlabama
03-14-2018, 12:13 AM
This is my biggest complaint about so many of the popular rails on the market today. Why on God's green Earth do they make them to extend out over the recoil lug and/or barrel nut? The added length of one or two slots is just wasted space that increased the cost of the product, and makes it a PITA to mount them low because that extension results in interference issues with the objective bell as you've discovered. Seriously, it serves absolutely no purpose.

Yep, I can't stand the extended rails for that very reason. I use Warne steel bases since they are not extended.

243LPR
03-18-2018, 09:08 AM
243LPR, if you are not using a chassis with a tube you really don't need that much height. You can probably get away with something around 1.062 - 1.25 from top of rail to optical center. Subtract .670 from those numbers for top of rail to bottom of scope measurement.

I mount my scopes as close to the barrel as possible. I also run Butler Creeks and sometimes have to go to the next higher ring to clear the barrel.