PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 VLP switch barrel project to 35 Sambar (358-300wsm)

ytailhunter
12-27-2017, 11:55 PM
New member here. I have been pouring over the threads regarding the switch barrel projects that others have done. I think I have been most of my facts down, but would like confirmation that my thinking is correct, and to address a few questions that I have. My rifle is a left hand Model 12 VLP DBM 22-250 small shank that was manufactured in 2010. I am wanting to rebarrel this rifle to 35 Sambar (358-300 wsm). So, in order to make this happen I'm looking at the following:

Bolt head - PTG short action, left eject, magnum bolt face
Barrel - Prefit Wilson barrel from Ragged Hole Barrels
Magazine - Savage 300 wsm magazine #55110

My questions:

Will the PTG bolt head work on my SA factory bolt?
Will I need a magnum firing pin (smaller pin dia)?
Should I anticipate any issues getting the rounds to feed using the Savage magazine?
Any concerns with the 35 Sambar in a small shank barrel? I have seen where others have done it, but I have also read about some concerns with spent case extraction issues.

My ultimate goal is a prairie dog rifle in the spring, and an elk rifle in the fall.:rolleyes:

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated!!

Muddly
12-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I believe you will need a large shank action. The issue is the thinness if the barrel at the chamber with the wider WSM series. Go a bit too hot, or a bit of metal fatigue, and the barrel can let go at the chamber. This occasionally happened when 1917 Enfield barrels were rechambered to 300 H&H or improved versions of same.
Too risky. Try to find a large shank action.

sharpshooter
12-28-2017, 05:12 PM
^ I agree. Leave the 22-250 alone, and find another large shank action for that wildcat.....or find a LH long action and build a .338 Win.

Zero333
12-28-2017, 06:45 PM
It's not that the small shank will fail....

The issue is that with WSM's RUM's and such cartridges, extraction becomes an issue at MAX pressures because the chamber walls are thinner compared to if they were chambered with a less fat cartridge, and they tend to "flex" under MAX pressures of such fat magnums. So the brass ends up a bit tight in the chamber after being fired.
Giving extraction headaches.

ytailhunter
12-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies!

i understand the small shank vs large shank discussion, and I have seen other posts talking about the extraction issues. I have also read where Savage initially built the 300 wsm on the small shank for a limited number of rifles. I have not read about any failing or about Savage recalling these rifles due to a safety issue. Have there been failures? Were they recalled?

Im not trying to be disrespectful. I'm only looking for facts as best as I can find them.

Again, thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

tobnpr
12-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Savage went with a CRPF bolthead with a blade ejector due to the issues/concerns raised above. Out of stock/can't order, but this is the animal:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/946994/savage-arms-bolt-head-short-action-savage-10-to-16-left-hand-controlled-round-feed-winchester-short-magnum-wsm-remington-short-action-ultra-magnum

Cmgoff
12-29-2017, 03:24 PM
If you are set on converting to the wsm you can have a gun Smith open up your action to a large shank. While your at it mine as well square up the face and the internal lugs.

I have done this to a couple of actions. I know everyone is against blueprinting savages because of the floating bolt face, but I'm of the opinion that the closer I can get to true and square the better.

This will not solve your control feed issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gbflyer
12-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Consider 358 Winchester in your current action. Takes a .308 magazine. Plenty good elk medicine with 180gr Barnes.

Zero333
12-30-2017, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the replies!

i understand the small shank vs large shank discussion, and I have seen other posts talking about the extraction issues. I have also read where Savage initially built the 300 wsm on the small shank for a limited number of rifles. I have not read about any failing or about Savage recalling these rifles due to a safety issue. Have there been failures? Were they recalled?

Im not trying to be disrespectful. I'm only looking for facts as best as I can find them.

Again, thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!

I know a fella with one of the original Small Shank 300 WSM's and he has extraction issues.

ytailhunter
12-30-2017, 09:33 AM
Again, thanks for the info!

How about 350 Rem Mag on the 12VLP? SAAMI pressures are the same as the 22-250 at 53,000 CUP (approx. 62,000 psi) vs. 65,000 psi for the 300 WSM. Any thoughts on using the standard 300 WSM magazine for the 350 Rem Mag?

If you can't tell already, I'm enamored with 35 calibers.

gbflyer
12-30-2017, 11:04 AM
The action would take the .350 RM just fine with the correct bolt
head. You might have to modify a magazine some but I bet the standard .308 or the short mag could be made to work.