PDA

View Full Version : Disapointed with my new Christmas Present!

PaddyD
12-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Today I excitedly unboxed my new RCBS Ultrasonic Case Cleaner. Put two liters of distilled water in it, turned the power on, set the temp to 140F and pushed the heater button which started flashing. Here it is over an hour later , the light still flashing but the water remains ice cold... For me that's one hell of a bummer.. Brand new and it doesn't even work.. Do you think Midway will pay to return it for exchange? I tried calling but of course today is Christmas so I will have to wait.

geargrinder
12-25-2017, 08:49 PM
You pay to send it back, but they refund you the shipping and send you a new one.

That's what they did for me a while back.

penna shooter
12-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Midway should and will honor your purchase, plus pay for all shipping cost....Good luck

243LPR
12-25-2017, 11:22 PM
There's lemons in everything! It just stinks it's a gift and now you got the hassle of returning it.

m12lrs
12-30-2017, 07:46 AM
Midway should and will honor your purchase, plus pay for all shipping cost....Good luck

yep

just return it to midway. tell them either you want your money back or exchange it for.another one.

Robinhood
12-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Is Distilled water the liquid of preference. I have no clue but I would think that distilled water may be low on minerals and impurities, one thing that may aid in the heating process. I know my Bronson heats up if I leave something metallic in it. Where without it not so much. It is not equipped with a heater.

You could sell it and get a SS pin tumbler and be very happy. Unless you are using it to clean gun parts. If your cleaning brass you can even add some wax to the tumbler and your brass will stay shiny.

PaddyD
12-30-2017, 09:15 PM
I asked RCBS and they told me it might take SEVERAL HOURS to heat cold tap water to the desired 140F, that it only operated in 90 minute cycles that I would need to start after they shut off and that I needed to start with water as close to that as possible to avoid waiting all day to get to temp .. To me that's way way over the top for me to accept after making a purchase because when advertised it stated it had a heat function. As a consumer would any of you take that to mean that heat function be so weak as to take SEVERAL HOURS to bring 2 qts of cold tap water from whatever temp it came from the pipe to 140F?? So if I used the recommended distilled water I need to first put it on the stove with a thermometer in the pan?? I sent it back to Midway and told them I tried multiple times to get the water up to temp and it never warmed to where the third light showed a steady red. It never even lit up and blinked like it is supposed to when it is nearing the set temp. I also told them I knew it wasn't their fault and still liked doing business with them. I have been using RCBS products for many many years, but this experience and the excuses I got from RCBS customer svc has tainted my loyalty to the brand.. As soon as my credit card has been credited I'm going to get something different and it won't be green this time.

sharpshooter
12-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Get the one from Harbor Freight.....it will heat up in 3 minutes.

bearcatrp
12-31-2017, 08:59 AM
Several hours to heat up is BS. Mine heats up fairly quick. I do use distilled water with the solution. Don't use it any more since I got in to tumbling with the pins with a F.A.R.T. system. Cleans allot better. But the sonic cleaner can be used for cleaning bolts and other metals.

Robinhood
12-31-2017, 11:30 AM
I read this article and it helped me understand why temperature was so critical. It explained some issues that puzzled me when I tried ultrasonic cleaning. So for anyone else that wants a little education on temperature and ultrasonic cleaning...
http://www.zenith-ultrasonics.com/temperature_effects.htm

Texas10
01-02-2018, 01:46 PM
Great article, RH. There's a lot of science behind U.S. cleaning, and this is just one example of how a small change in procedure can get improved results.

FWIW. using distilled water is less about possible mineral contaminates and more about removing the dissolved air in the water that blunts the effectiveness of the ultra sonic impulses. So I keep a jug of tap water that has been sitting for several weeks to allow dissolved air to escape. This greatly improves US cleaning action.

Although I have a Hornaday US cleaner, I rarely us it anymore. I prefer stainless steel wet tumbling for cleaning cartridge cases.

Happy New Year!