PDA

View Full Version : barrel caliber need advice

rmkey
12-24-2017, 11:08 PM
I have a 260 and a 308 and love both. I am thinking about getting a new barrel for my 22-250. I am thinking Criterion or Shilen. Any preferences? As for caliber, which would you recommend? I want a little more punch than a 6mm. Accuracy is top concern so I am leaning towards 7mm08 or 6.5x47 Lapua. Yes I know the 6.5x47 means Lapua brass. Don’t know much about 6.5 creedmore. I would appreciate hearing from someone more experienced than me. Thanks

Newtosavage
12-24-2017, 11:44 PM
I just went through a very similar process and ended up with a 7mm-08. I lucked into a minty Stevens 200 at the LGS that shoots very well. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I had .243, 6.5 CM and .308's prior to this rifle, but I wanted the option for heavier bullets without unnecessary recoil. Recoil is still very managable and the ballistics are ideal for the style of hunting I do.

rmkey
12-25-2017, 12:02 AM
I just went through a very similar process and ended up with a 7mm-08. I lucked into a minty Stevens 200 at the LGS that shoots very well. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I had .243, 6.5 CM and .308's prior to this rifle, but I wanted the option for heavier bullets without unnecessary recoil. Recoil is still very managable and the ballistics are ideal for the style of hunting I do.

Thanks. I should have specified my interest is high power competition.

Zero333
12-25-2017, 01:46 AM
If you want to shoot lighter bullets, get the Shilen barrel because it has a shorter freebore than the Criterion. If you want to shoot heavy and light bullets, then Criterion is better.

I do however shoot heavy bullets in Shillen barrels, but this means either a VLD type bullet or have it sit a lil deeper in the case than optimal. But no matter what they shoot fantastic anyways.

Since you handload, I recommend 6.5x47 L, because you said "accuracy is top concern".

rmkey
12-25-2017, 02:52 AM
Thanks zero333. Sounds like good advice. I have the 6.5 swede and 260 rem and 6.5 brm and all I shoot are 140’s. Amazing, sierra and recently berger vld and next the hybrid vld. Bergers are really good bullets. I am currently reading Glen Zedikers “Handloading for Competition”. I have been reloading 40 years but I am learning about the finer details and slowly amassing all the equipment to actually load precision cartridges. I think the 6.5 is pretty close to perfect. I know more competitive shooters use the 6.5 Lapua with the Creedmore a close second. The only disadvantage of the 6.5 L is proprietary brass just like the brm brass. But the L brass is the best and it’s duribility will help offset the cost. I am curious about your comment about bullet weights. I thought it is just a matter of twist rate. Why does criterion handle heavies better than Shilen as I only plan to use 140 grain?
Thanks much!$

Zero333
12-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Thanks zero333. Sounds like good advice. I have the 6.5 swede and 260 rem and 6.5 brm and all I shoot are 140’s. Amazing, sierra and recently berger vld and next the hybrid vld. Bergers are really good bullets. I am currently reading Glen Zedikers “Handloading for Competition”. I have been reloading 40 years but I am learning about the finer details and slowly amassing all the equipment to actually load precision cartridges. I think the 6.5 is pretty close to perfect. I know more competitive shooters use the 6.5 Lapua with the Creedmore a close second. The only disadvantage of the 6.5 L is proprietary brass just like the brm brass. But the L brass is the best and it’s duribility will help offset the cost. I am curious about your comment about bullet weights. I thought it is just a matter of twist rate. Why does criterion handle heavies better than Shilen as I only plan to use 140 grain?
Thanks much!$

The Shilen barrels I have shoot heavies very nicely. It's just the freebore that's a little short in the Shilen's that forces the heavy bullets deeper in the case than optimal.
It's not a big deal in the way I reload but others don't like the bullet's bearing surface and boat tail junction to sit below the case's shoulder and neck junction. Because of a doughnut that can form inside the case at the shoulder and neck junction.
I've never had a doughnut form inside the brass and I assume that's because I still prefer sizing cases with the expander ball on the decapping stem.
Many serious shooters like using bushing dies to have better control over neck tension and help keep the brass necks more concentric to the brass body.

rmkey
12-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks Zero333. That makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
12-25-2017, 11:42 AM
If accuracy is your top priority then get yourself a Shillen blank and have a top rated GS do the chamber or get a Bartlien or Rock Creek from Bugholes. I have 5 barrels that AGW has chambered and all of them shoot with good load workup.

rmkey
12-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Guess I thought you could specify chamber dimensions from Shilen. I was hoping for a prefit savage barrel. I have no experience with custom barrels. Thanks

Robinhood
12-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Bugholes has/is the shiznit for Savage prefits due to their inventory and quality. My AGW point was that with the right blank Jim is good enough at chambering his stuff can compete at a high level. I have smoked some Krieger and Bartleins with one of his X-calibers(might have been the indian). I would not go X-caliber until they get their act together(post exodus) but I would not hesitate to have AGW chamber any of the top barrel makers including the cut rifle stuff.

Many of the high volume high quality barrel finishing shops are saying X-caliber is experiencing some trouble with blanks and QC in general...the reason for the warning on X-caliber. Jim or someone more inside knowledge may clarify or offer a better perspective.

Bugholes/Southern Precision Savage prefits

Most of their blanks are like $340.00. Around 500.00 finished if I remember correctly. Their list of stocked barrel manufactures are unmatched.

Rock Creek, Brux, Bartlein, Muller Works, Obermeyer, Krieger, Hawk Hill, Proof Research

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=Savage%20prefits

rmkey
12-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks

want2ride
12-26-2017, 01:40 PM
My brother replaced his competition rifle's 260 barrel with a 6.5x47 Lapua Barrel made by Criterion and he replaced his backup rifle's barrel (.243) with a .243 Shilen select match. The Criterion shoots ok, but the Shilen is amazing.
I don't have any other experience than this, but from what I have seen, the Shilen is the way to go.

SageRat Shooter
12-26-2017, 02:32 PM
I have 3 CBI barrels and have been happy with every single one of them. .5 MOA shooters all (260 Rem Match, 22-250 Heavy Sporter, and 22-250 Varmint). I would be willing to try a Shilen as I've been told that they are pretty much even...

That was straight from Jim at North Land Shooter Supply (the original Jim). He said "he'd be happy with either one," when I asked him which one he'd go with.

strut64
12-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Remember, as a barrel shoots, the throat will change due to erosion. that means it gets longer, so your seating depth must be changed. I have a shilen 6 BR that seems to have shifted about .025 to .030 at about 1050 rounds. I would prefer a more snug freebore.