PDA

View Full Version : Converting 10FLP in 308 (blind box, staggered?) to detachable mag. Is it possible?

stevepsd
12-24-2017, 06:37 PM
I have a circa 2006 Savage Model 10 FLP (308, bull barrel, left-hand, blind box mag, accu-trigger) not sure if it is staggered/center feed (how do you tell?) that I bought new and it is a real tack-driver .5MOA or better.

I replaced the stock flexible tupperware stock right after I bought it - I think it is a B&C Medalist (non-adjustable comb) but they did not make one for LH actions so I cut a notch for the bolt-handle and it works pretty darn good, except for dealing the slight cant of the RH stock, so I want to replace the stock.

Trying to find anything other than a 'sporter' stock for this rifle configuration is proving difficult - Boyd seems to list all versions, except for this Left-Hand configuration, but they do show their 'Pro-Varmint' in 'Center-Feed Blind' and 'Detachable Mag' (neither with a bull-barrel however).

I am thinking that I could easily open-up the barrel channel for my factory bull-barrel (.920" I believe), but am not sure if the staggered blind box (which is what I believe I have) will work with a stock designed for the 'center-feed blind'? If not, could my rifle be changed to center-feed blind or preferably to a detachable box mag? If so, what parts would be required?

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. I was on this board back in 2005-2010 then things got real busy. I recently retired and am getting back into the shooting sports so I thought I would give it a go with my 'old' 10FLP.

-steve

penna shooter
12-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Welcome aboard

Zero333
12-24-2017, 09:37 PM
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/

try that link and do a search for "Savage stock". You'll get tons of results. Go through them and see if you like something.

If it's a rifle for fun shooting from the bench or prone then that site I linked is no good to you, for they only have hunting style stocks.

When ordering a stock for a short action Savage you need to specify the action screw spacing, either 4.27" or 4.40"... 4.27 is stagger feed, 4.40" is center feed.

Best is to get a chassis because they're already configured for AICS pattern magazines. But a chassis is not cheap.

After getting a stock you would need to get a factory savage bottom metal (can't think of any place that sells them anymore except in the classifieds on this forum).
Or get a AICS pattern bottom metal from PTG, CDI or Accurate Mag. AICS bottom metals are not cheap either but you'll have to do your own math. And again you have to specify action screw spacing for the correct bottom metal.

Check out the FAQ page on this site. It explains a lot to do with this.