PDA

View Full Version : New Axis II hardwood .243

jbkm
12-24-2017, 12:30 PM
Just got a new Axis II in .243, it has the nice hardwood stock and accutrigger. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but noticed that the barrel is a bit offset in the stock channel. There is more gap between barrel and stock on the bolt side than on the other. It didn't pass the dollar bill test for free floating.

I'm going to remove the stock later and make sure it was installed properly and torque it down to spec. Hopefully that will even out the gap some.

If not, does anyone have experience sanding the stock channel? I'll likely try by wrapping a socket in fine grip sand paper and going a little at a time.

On a positive note I'm really impressed with how much nicer the stock makes this rifle feel. Now I'm really itching to get my Model 11 Trophy Hunter (.308) into a nicer stock. :)

Can't wait for the wife to try this .243 out. She did okay on the .308 but I think lesser recoil will be nice for her.

Mb1500
12-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Stock is very nice indeed. Mine passes the test but does favor one side similar to yours. Socket and sand paper sounds like an excellent idea, maybe post some pictures when you're done!

prdatr
12-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Mine was like that when I bought it. I too it home and removed the stock and cleaned the oil from the action and put it back together and torqued it and it was even all the way around.

penna shooter
12-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Congrats..

jbkm
12-31-2017, 04:03 PM
I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Hoping to this afternoon. Does anyone know the recommended toque values? Specifically for the action screws and wooden stock combo? The stock mounts differently than plastic (2 piece?).

penna shooter
12-31-2017, 05:46 PM
I hear that a lot, haven't shot it in yet....Lets throw some lead downrange soldiers.....Good luck

prdatr
12-31-2017, 08:19 PM
I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Hoping to this afternoon. Does anyone know the recommended toque values? Specifically for the action screws and wooden stock combo? The stock mounts differently than plastic (2 piece?).

I don't but it should be a sticky. I would do them to about 40"#'S, maybe 50 max.

celltech
01-02-2018, 09:24 AM
My .223 hardwood has a single steel pillar through the rear and 2 pillars in the wood and magazine tab on the front. Since there is solid steel all the way around I torque them to 65 in/lb. If it was just the wood I would not go above 40.

Edit: I should note that it came from the factory with the pillars, much to my surprise...and I didn't even notice it for a while. You can verify they are there with a magnet. I assume they did it because the plastic mag tab is epoxied into the stock and replacing a broken one would be a b!@#h. A lot of Axis owners have cracked theirs from torquing down too much...

foxx
01-02-2018, 12:25 PM
^^^this.

Want2BS8ed
01-05-2018, 03:02 AM
Curious, did your 243 come with a plastic or metal trigger guard?

My hardwood stocked 243 came from Wally-World without the Accutrigger. While it had the steel pillars front and rear, the trigger guard was still plastic with a deeper inlet than the metal replacements from Midway and Boyd's. I have replaced the magazine catch with metal, but until the action is bedded and the gap underneath the replacement trigger guard is filled with Devcon, I have been reluctant to torque the action screws beyond 35#'s for fear of cracking the plastic.

FWIW, my barrel wasn't centered either. I've always been in the habit of snugging the action screws up, grabbing the rifle by the barrel and while upright, gently rapping the butt on the bench a couple of times to settle the action in the stock before torqueing the screws. Centered everything right up (and also makes sure the barrel nut makes good contact with the recoil lug).

M

Willy
01-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the barrel not centering perfectly in the stock; my Tikka Forrest (270WSM) barrel is closer to one side of the stock than the other side. As long as it's not touching.