PDA

View Full Version : scope bases for a 116 w/Leupold scope

AKArcherdaddy
09-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

I just got a new Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm scope for my Savage 116 Accutrigger. I previously had a 5-20 Nikon Monarch scope on it, with Talley Ultralight Ringbases. I really like the Talleys, but the Leupold scope has a shorter center section (ocular to objective bell) than the Monarch and it won't fit in the Talleys. It seems the Savage 116 long action has a wider mount spacing than most.

So, I was wondering if any of you use the same or similar Leupold scope (4-12 or 4.5-14, maybe even 3-9 power) and what ring/base combination you have found best. I would prefer to stick with two-piece bases, just to keep the action wide open, but if a 1 piece base is needed or is better, let me know!

I guess I could also add that I already have a set of Burris Signature Zee rings. I'm not dead set on using them, but if I can find a base that fits them (Weaver style...will Picatinny fit too?) that could save me some coin.

Thanks!

AKArcherdaddy
09-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Problem Solved!

I stopped by my favorite little sporting goods shop on the way home yesterday and they happened to have a set a Talley Ultralight *Extended* ringbases. I didn't know they made them, but they closed the gap and the scope fits perfectly now! Oh, I believe they are Medium height, which seems to fit the scope pretty well. If you had a very thin barrel contour you might be able to get away with Low Talley ringmounts, especially on a short action. My wife's ultralight .308 has the low Talley mounts and has about 1/8" gap between the scope (VX-II 4-12x40mm)bell and the barrel.

Hope that helps someone.

orchemo
01-23-2010, 05:12 AM
I tried to mount a Leupold 2.5-8x36 on extended Talley mounts/rings in my Savage 116 in 338. The 2.5-8 is too narrow even with extended bases.
Eric